New to the Forum

smartfish

Rob Smart
Just wanted to say hey, I have been enjoying the salt water hobby for some time. Previously (fish only)about 10 years ago I had a set up and things are much more interesting with the LR and LS. I like the variety of inverts and mix of corals, my reef tank has been set up for about two years and am enjoying watching it grow. I am still learning and feel that I always will. I am hear to educate myself and to learn from the many hobbiest out there. Thank you and I will enjoy the reading...

Last edited:
tank specs

120 gal w/250 x2MH and 4x54watt T-5's (outer orbit). Deltec turbo ts1250 in sump. Mag 9.5 in sump, turbo twist sterilizer 36watt, 2-250watt heaters , two Hydor Koralia #3 power heads and a maxi 1200. 5 gallon auto top off.

No problems I like it alot, It is pretty heavy though I just lift it off the tank occasionally to work on the tank. Mostly I just leave it in place for maintenance. I am thinking about buying some new mh bulbs I do not care for the ones that came with it. I think I want 14000K just trying to determine the right brand. The ones That came with it are yellow to begin with and too white when they level off.

Yea I agree. I like the fixture. Nice and solid but loud fans. I was thinking of new MH lamps too. I was thinking 14K too. think higher might be too blue.

Yea I agree. I like the fixture. Nice and solid but loud fans. I was thinking of new MH lamps too. I was thinking 14K too. think higher might be too blue.

I am running the 420 and 460 actinics and think it would be altogether to much blue. Yes that was my other thought the fans are a little loud but i like the light very sturdy and well made.

Nice set-up.

WelcomeBRS.jpg

Welcome... great pics... I don't have MH but I've heard good things about 14K phoenix bulbs... You could do some research but that's a good starting point if you're looking for 14K bulbs...

I have been hearing that as well and then ushio bulbs, I hate to say this but it will probably come down to the price.

lighting

if you want to cut down on electric & get a very nice color & great intensity.. (best par on the market for a 175 & it has a par value equal to most 250 se MH) I would look into iwasaki eye 175 w 15 k Se bulbs...They are incredible...I have them right next to 250 watt SE ushio 10K brighter & nicer color as well...crisp..not yellow & not too blue...

HTH everyone..

There not cheap & they only make them in a 175 watt SE but if you had a 175 MH ballast hanging around...it will save you on electric...

Back