Newbie Mistakes Not To Make

SeaMonkey

Anemone Cricket
Some hard lessons (some that I have personally learned) - to hopefully save other newbies some grief.

* When using any medications or additives, always research and measure properly. Even if someone gives you instructions, they may assume you know some things that you don't yet.

* Corals can sting and kill each other, when acclimating or placing new corals, do not toss them all together.

* Never put your hands in the tank without gloves. Scratches get infected and fingers get lost.

* Do not feed fish right before bagging/bucketing them. Fish poop. Poop kills.

* Even the nicest people can give you bugs/pests/etc. Don't add anything into your tank without quarantining and testing first. Not even Chaeto.

* The coolest looking stuff always comes with a catch... research before you buy. If you are a hopeless impulse buyer, keep a reference book with you (in your car, purse, etc).

* Salespeople lie.

If I have left out some hard lessons that you know of - please share.

Last edited:
* Even the nicest people can give you bugs/pests/etc. Don't add anything into your tank without quarantining and testing first. Not even Chaeto.

:eek:
My chaeto had pest?
Just kidding,I've only had one pest anemone and that was a year ago.
Blasted it with Joe's juice and have never seen another.I guess I'm a lucky one.

Here's my biggy for newbies.

*Don't chase PH around.It naturally dips at night and it's not really a big deal if it does.Just keep the Alk between 7-11 dkh and you'll be fine.
Otherwise if you keep adding supplement you could spike the Alk parameter.

The initial set up cycle on a brand new system isn't over when your ammonia, nitrites/nitrates drop to zero.

You still have a massive hair algae bloom coming your way...

Don't cheap out on equipment because you'll just end up buying it later on down the road anyways...

:eek:
My chaeto had pest?

No your Chaeto did not have pests :)

I did get a huge ammonia spike from a bag of Chaeto though, and it took out two clowns, two damsels, and a handful of hermits and snails. Turns out the chaeto was full of life, but all the life died inside the baggie and I did not test it before it went in. Oooooopppppppppppppppppppssssssssssssssssssss....

Best one on the list. Even Live rock.

Especially live rock! Aptaisia is everywhere. Which leads me to another mistake:

Aptaisia is beautiful - if you do not know what something is on a rock you are about to buy - ask.

Also helpful, learn all of the names of pests like Aptaisia. Glass Anemone sounds so much more marketable...

My advice:

DON'T PANIC

That's a big one! DO NOT PANIC. Panic reactions create more trouble than they're worth. Here's a couple more ...

• Don't use tap water. NEVER use tap water.
  • Never top off with salt water.
  • If you can't test for it, don't add it.
  • Hands out of the tank as much as humanly possible!
  • Sales people lie! :D

Especially live rock! Aptaisia is everywhere. Which leads me to another mistake:

Aptaisia is beautiful - if you do not know what something is on a rock you are about to buy - ask.

Also helpful, learn all of the names of pests like Aptaisia. Glass Anemone sounds so much more marketable...

tulip anemone sounds somuch more marketable than mojano too.

That's a big one! DO NOT PANIC. Panic reactions create more trouble than they're worth. Here's a couple more ...

• Don't use tap water. NEVER use tap water.
  • Never top off with salt water.
  • If you can't test for it, don't add it.
  • Hands out of the tank as much as humanly possible!
    [*]Sales people lie! :D

I'm down with the first 4, but since some of the 'sales people' are our sponsors, I have to disagree. While I won't discount inexperience or an occasional wrong answer, I think LIE is a little harsh.

Oh and when feeding dry food, if you get your hand wet and stick in the container for more, (pellets esp.) they will stick to your wet hands, and you may drop way too much food in.

Also keep a rag handy.

And stop over feeding!! I know it looks cool when they go crazy for food, and they look hungry, but it's for their own good!

patience

Patience, remember nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. let that new tank mature and add things slowly over time.

also, TREAT AND INSPECT ALL CORALS ENTERING THE TANK for pests. lots of threads on this site about how. Trust no one. Something that is a minor, or even unnoticed, pest in someone else's tank can become a full blown invasion in yours. That's biosystems for you.

Peter

Back