"Newbie" tank set-up help

CPTrigger

Non-member
Okay so I feel kinda like an idiot asking this question as I've been setting up tanks off and on (more off than on) for the past 10 years. When I first started setting up tanks the technology and knowledge base of most people was very low on things. So on to my question:

I am planning on starting a 144g half circle tank that I want to turn into a reef tank in the upcoming year or so. This will be the biggest tank I've set up and a different set-up than I've ever done. My question(s) is what kind of filtration would you all reccommend? I've been looking at the Rapids Pro PS 4 Wet and Dry that comes with a skimmer. Is this a good filter, what I'm looking for.

Also, the refugium has been an increasing hot topic that I have to admit I do not know much about. If I use the filter above, or any filter system for that matter, would a fuge be beneficial/needed? If so, does anyone have suggestions of a good fuge to get/build.

I want to take my time with this and research in great detail. My goal is to have a system that my family can enjoy and not do too much to while I deploy for 6-months at a time with the Navy. I appreciate any help I get and have enjoyed everyone's post that I have read so far. Thanks in advance.

Trigger

What type of tank are you setting up? Fish only, mixed Reef? Is the tank drilled? How little do you want your family to deal w/ while your deployed (thats a tough one). For filtration ideally you would want to use live rock along with a sump/fuge combo with a skimmer, but again the 6 months away could make this tough.

BTW - Welcome.:)

Tank would be a mixed fish/reef. I plan on using about 150-175lbs of LR and 120lbs of LS. The wife is pretty good when it comes to this and doesn't mind doing a little work as long as I have it listed what she needs to do and when. As far as I know, tank is not drilled.

You don't need a fuge, it's better to increase water volume and use as nutrient export. It's also good for selective tanks that you can't have in your Display tank. As long as your Bio load is almost null in the "fuge" then it could serve it's purpose with just Live rock. Otherwise you've just attached another display system if your bio load is big and increased your chances of problems

If you are planning on keeping corals then live rock (lots of it) is the only filtration that you need. A fuge is extremely beneficial for nutrient export! Also a quality protein skimmer is a must!

Thanks for the help so far

I thank everyone that has taken the time to submit their input. I think I'm going to look more into the sump/fuge way to go, however, one question still keeps popping into my head:

With the sump/fuge system, will I/should I go with a filter of some sort to clean things out.

As stated before, I plan on getting LR and LS to put in display tank, but in previous set-ups this was usually not enough to keep water crystal clear as well as keeping chemical levels within parameters.

Any additional help?????

Trigger

you need a standard protein skimmer, some people here also run carbon to keep their water crystal clear.

As stated before, I plan on getting LR and LS to put in display tank, but in previous set-ups this was usually not enough to keep water crystal clear as well as keeping chemical levels within parameters.

Any additional help?????

Trigger

One big filtration part missing here is a good quality skimmer. This and live rock will take care of your filtration. I would use dead sand vs live sand, it will save a ton of money and your rock will seed the sand with bacteria. You could add a cup of sand from a few established tanks to get some variety in microfauna.

To clarify and polish the water you could have your drain into the somp dump into a filter sock to remove large debris and also run carbon to help absorb any unwanted chemicals and toxins.

I would advise to take a look at some peoples systems to get some ideas on how to do things.

Just for reference, you may not need it but can't hurt, this is a fairly basic in-stand set-up. As for a good sump to build/buy, this one was built by Neo (Gustavo). Also Melves Reef has lots of good sump info.

Attachments

• Sump.jpg
    Sump.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 169
Back