Nickyblase's newbie 20G tank progress

nickyblase

Non-member
Hi all - Please look at my photos, stats, etc and feel free to give pointers - as stated in my thread title, I am definitely a NOOOOOBIE!

I would especially love some pointers on taking better pictures (I've got a digital camera with zoom, but it doesn't have interchangeable lenses). Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but I'm having one hell of a time getting good, clear close-ups of my corals.

The other thing I would like some input on is if my coral placement is way off or not (both distance from top AND what's next to what). I've seen so many beautiful tanks on here, and it seems like the corals are right on top of each other. I would like to have a gorgeous tank of course, but also am afraid that the corals will sting each other to death (can you tell I am waiting delivery of my more in-depth corals book???). I know which ones are more agrgessive than others, but am still nervous.

Anyway, here's what I've got for a setup:

20G high display tank (no sump, fuge, overflow, etc)
2x55W PC dual actinic & 10,000K lights (moonlights showing up any day)
tetra whisper filter
1 penguin 550 powerhead (145 GPH)
prizm skimmer

30 lbs tonga rock (3 huge pieces)
30 lbs ls

params: 80 degrees
pH 8.3 - 8.4
sal: 1.023 - 1.024
alk: 10
trates: 0
calcium: 400

inhabitants: perc, green chromis, yellow watchman (pistol shrimp soon to follow)
serpent star, peppermint shrimp, flame scallop, clean up crew
various corals (several of which came from last weekend's frag swap).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
a couple more

Attachments

• tank shots May 3 2005 005.jpg
    tank shots May 3 2005 005.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
only a handful more, I promise

Attachments

• tank shots May 3 2005 007.jpg
    tank shots May 3 2005 007.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Quick tip: if you only put one image per reply we woll all see them without clicking on anything. If you want to edit you only have 10 minutes or something.

Very nice aquascaping.

Last edited:
the last ones. by the way, please take a look at my pic of rusty griswold my serpent star - the white mark looks like he may have been nipped at, or scratched himself on the rock. Is this something to be concerned about??

Thanks all! Over and out

Laurie

Attachments

• gill & colt coral.jpg
    gill & colt coral.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 139
  • tank after April frag swap.jpg
    tank after April frag swap.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 135
Too many avenues of advice to be given just to list. The best advice is Time is your friend add slowly and make subtle changes. The next best thing is to read read read. Don't be afraid to ask a question if you can't find the answer through the search engine.
As far as Pic's. I found a Tripod to greatly help no mater what camera you use. Zoom Zoom Zoom
By the Way Welcome!!! :)
Rich

I would move the toadstool and frogspawn up abit higher. 110w of PC is not much but I'm not a softee guy...others should comment. How long has it been since your cycle was complete. Seems abit "foggy"....maybe run some carbon??

Back