Non main day lighting options

afsportsguy000

Non-member
I want to keep it cheap and so I can see my tank!

I have my MH on from 10:30am-7pm. I want to know what I can do to be able to look at livestock and corals after 7pm where they would still look cool. Do I want to use LED moon lights? I really have no idea what to do and i would like to keep it cheap under 50 bucks. Is there a limit to using moon lights with how long they can stay on?

Thanks,

I have my moon lights come on from 8pm-Midnight and I think 4am-7am. It's two blue leds on each fixture for a total of 4. The blue shimmer is great and gives enough light so I can still see things. Also gives a totally different viewing experience. I'm sure you could pick up a couple moon light strips for cheap money. I'm not aware of any time limitations.

For example: http://www.marinedepot.com/R2_Solut...quariums-R2_Solutions-RM1111-FILTFIML-vi.html

If you had an Apex/Apex Jr. they make a Lunar Simulation Module that comes with blue leds that simulates the moon cycle.

Last edited:
Sweet, yea thats what I was looking for. I am always sitting with a little LED flashlight haha and prolly annoying the crap outa the fish. Just sucks I cant view it after 7pm when the lights go down.

Leave your lights on later!!!! I am just kidding..Those moonlights in the link above are really cool and just what I am looking for as well!

PS...love the car!

I recently bought a LED Brite strip to run after my main lights go out AWESOME Love the Thing.(just recently bought a new t-5 fixture so not running the LED until I build a hood as I screwed them on to my old light fixture but is not possible with this fixture So now I have an Excuse to build a Hood this summer Or you could set your schedule up differently I make the light schedule around my schedule, The corals don`t know what time of day it is. I leave for work at 7 and get home after five so I have my lights not turn on later on in day and turn off later at night. Sometimes i`m going to bed and my main lights are still on. For the weekend since Im around the house more often I have them turn On a little early during the Day.

-Owen

The other nice thing about actinics is having them come on an hour before and going off an hour after the MH. Not only do the corals look cool during this hour but it is nice to not have to blast the fish all of a sudden with a lot of light.

Run your light cycle later maybe 12-9 or 1-10 thats what i do so i can enjoy the tank when i get out of work.

Before I built my led I bought r2 moonlights. These things are sick! Had them on a timer so when the atomically shut off they came on until 2am.

Cool, Yea I found an old atinics light looks super cool, I may turn my 24inch light into it and try to run it with the atinics....will I do any harm running this at night when I am home?

I don't know of harm. Ill tell you how my lights are. I have no timers. I turn my lights on around 7ish. I go to work. I come home, I leave my lights on until sometimes 9-10. Then I flip actinics til I'm ready for bed. If I am actively watching my tank instead of tv, I will leave lights on and then turn them all off for bed. My corals and fish are perfectly fine.

I don't know of harm. Ill tell you how my lights are. I have no timers. I turn my lights on around 7ish. I go to work. I come home, I leave my lights on until sometimes 9-10. Then I flip actinics til I'm ready for bed. If I am actively watching my tank instead of tv, I will leave lights on and then turn them all off for bed. My corals and fish are perfectly fine.

I like you style....I have a Fiance who thinks im crazy...but watching my fish tank is more exciting then say yes to the dress!

Lol my gf actually hates fish. When I first met her, she wouldn't go to the pet store. At the time, I had a 45 freshwater. Now I have a 110 reef built into the wall. She puts up with it. Its a compromise. She gets her TV and cats, I get my aquarium. As for the lighting, as long as my corals are happy looking and growing, I will not change my lighting schedule. I will view as I please. The only thing I don't do is turn the lights off and on. Once they are off, they are off for the night.

Last edited:
Back