Nursing home freshwater aquarium

.::Jun77::.

Non-member
Hi BRS! I work on a nursing home located at Stoneham. They have a 75g freshwater tank with 2 plecos and silver dollar. Last Thursday the 10+ y/o severum cichlid died , and the residents are devastated, breaks my heart to see them looking for the fish, they gather on that aquarium after lunch every day.

If there are anyone rehoming their freshwater fish, please consider donating it to this facility. They have an aquarium maintenance company. I can pick up if its not too far from Salem-Stoneham area

Not sure if this is the right forum for this post, I apologize if its not. Thank you!

Jun

Hi BRS! I work on a nursing home located at Stoneham. They have a 75g freshwater tank with 2 plecos and silver dollar. Last Thursday the 10+ y/o severum cichlid died , and the residents are devastated, breaks my heart to see them looking for the fish, they gather on that aquarium after lunch every day.

If there are anyone rehoming their freshwater fish, please consider donating it to this facility. They have an aquarium maintenance company. I can pick up if its not too far from Salem-Stoneham area

Not sure if this is the right forum for this post, I apologize if its not. Thank you!

Jun
Sounds like the residents really enjoyed the fish. I would be willing to chip in.

Jun
I have guppies and possible cat fish but not really close to Salem

I was able to find a replacement severum, i would let the little guy settle in. Thank you for the offers, BRS are really the best!

I dont have a FW tank, is a 75G fully stocked with a severum, 2 silver dollar and a large pleco?
If not, what more can I add?

I have either jewel cichlids or could fill the tank with Lake Malawi cichlids. I'm in Andover.
Chuck
Hi! Im not knowledgeable on FW tanks, is a 75G fully stocked with a severum, 2 mature silver dollar, 1 mature pleco? If not what can I add after the little guy settled in? Water change and maintenance done by a company every month

Generally the maintenance companies change only 25-30% of the water, so you don't want to over-stock the tank. Depending on the species a "mature" pleco can be 5-6 inches up to 12-14 inches, and the silver dollars go 4-5 inches when fully grown, so I wouldn't add too many more fish. But you can add 1-2 cichlids that max out around 4-5 inches.
chuck

Generally the maintenance companies change only 25-30% of the water, so you don't want to over-stock the tank. Depending on the species a "mature" pleco can be 5-6 inches up to 12-14 inches, and the silver dollars go 4-5 inches when fully grown, so I wouldn't add too many more fish. But you can add 1-2 cichlids that max out around 4-5 inches.
chuck
I want something interesting for the residents to see while waiting for the severum to reach mature size, i read online that it will take 2 years . Pleco and silver dollar is not much fun to look at lol

Any specific breed to cichlid that you would recommend? thank you!

If you want something interesting for the residents, then I'd recommend either a school of Giant Danios or a small group of larger rainbow fish. If you want to go with cichlids, then a couple of angelfish or a pair of kribs or pelvicachromis pulcher might work. If you didn't have the silver dollars then you'd have more options. Also, most of the geophagus species are peaceful but they get large (8-12 inches)

My favorite fresh water fish are red tail or rainbow sharks. Had them with for years and very active and entertaining. Hearty and get along with tetras, angels, silver dollars, guppys and I imagine more but those I can attest too. They swim like fighter jets and do rolling maneuvers like no other fish I've had. Most bang for the buck if you want entertainment. Max size is maybe 5", but lots of that is tail and light bioload.

As tacky as this sounds, what about a school of glofish? The transgenic gfp/rfp/bfp/ofp expressing danios? I be the residents would find them beautiful.

My favorite fresh water fish are red tail or rainbow sharks. Had them with for years and very active and entertaining. Hearty and get along with tetras, angels, silver dollars, guppys and I imagine more but those I can attest too. They swim like fighter jets and do rolling maneuvers like no other fish I've had. Most bang for the buck if you want entertainment. Max size is maybe 5", but lots of that is tail and light bioload.
Will look into this, thank you!

As tacky as this sounds, what about a school of glofish? The transgenic gfp/rfp/bfp/ofp expressing danios? I be the residents would find them beautiful.
Hmmm that is interesting, yeah this might be the best purpose for those glofish. I cringed a bit typing that! thank you!

Back