ok can somebody help me

scjpll

Non-member
i have a mixed reef tank with t 5 and a t2 skimmer and a sump. i need to know what is the diffrance between a kalkwasser and a calciume reactor.. what do thay do. realy dont under stand the co2 thing is one better than the other. i want to keep clams and some sps and lps. thanks scott

How big is your tank?

Depending on the size of your tank and the consumption of the tank you could get away with just dosing kalkwasser (limewater made with Mrs Wages Pickling Lime - cheaper). This has a high pH of about 12 so it needs to be slowly dripped into the tank. Some use this along with a 2-part supplement if the limewater/kalk can not meet the demand of the tank. Most will use limewater as their top off when doing this

Calcium Reactor you have a medium in the reactor and the CO2 dissolves the medium which adds the alk/calcium to the tank thru the effluent. An issue that people can have is that the CO2 can have a lowering effect on the tanks pH, which users will revert to dripping Kalk to counter this.

I currently have a 57 gallon tank and was keeping mainly SPS, I ran a calcium reactor. It kept my levels stable but I had to dial it down really low because it was too much for my tank. I ended up getting a haddoni which does not like the flow that SPS require so I got rid of most of my SPS and I also got rid of my Calcium Reactor. I now drip limewater thru a dosing pump that is on a my controller.

As the tank matures its demand is going to increase so you could start with limewater/kalk until the demand is not met, then look at either adding a 2-part supplement or going the calcium reactor.

The biggest difference is PRICE!
A calcium reactor will cost a lot more than a Kalk setup

Some people actually run both a CA reactor and a kalk drip.

But to be honest, before you pick one or the other, you should start off by measuring your levels during your next water change cycle. Measure it after your water change, then measure it again before you do your next water change, then measure it after your water change. If your levels are good you won't have to bother with additives.

Supplements like these are generally only necessary for high-demand livestock

Kalkwasser or calcium hydroxide is added to the tank to raise calcium. One buys a powder either a brand sold for aquarium use or as pickling lime. The user then adds it to an amount of fresh water in a desired ratio. Then it is slowly dripped into the aquarium over time.

The calcium reactor Is a chamber where larger chunks of aragonite are placed co2 is added to the chamber to acidify the water and dissolve the aragonite and leache the trace elements back into the water.

Back