Old reefer, new to the area

The_Colonel

300 Pound Gorillia
Hello,

Just thought I would introduce my self. My name is JP, and I just moved to Taunton. I have been living in China for the last few years, and before that in the Minneapolis/St.Paul area, where I was very active in the local reef club (TCMAS). I have not had a tank for the last few years, and am very excited to get started again, and very happy to see an active club out here.

To give you a little preview of my plans, I just bought a 4' X 4' X 2' tank which I will have in mid-September. As you can see from the picture below, it was originally designed to be viewed from all four sides, with a center overflow. I am planning on moving the overflow to the two back corners. I will build my stand, and set up all the plumbing (return, sump, closed loop, etc...) and hopefully have water in it by Mid October. I will start a build thread here once I get the tank and start on the stand.

IMG_5571.jpg

Anyway look forward to meeting everyone, and I am sure I will be looking for some advice/help down the line.

JP

Nice tank! Are you retired military? I really like the center overflow, what made you change your mind? If you want the overflows on the ends, why not do something like how I make my overflow? Just put a divider in along the entire back. That way you have a nice box to work in and you would only need to box in the last 3"-4". Here's a picture
dsc04729.jpg

Nice tank! Are you retired military? I really like the center overflow, what made you change your mind? If you want the overflows on the ends, why not do something like how I make my overflow? Just put a divider in along the entire back. That way you have a nice box to work in and you would only need to box in the last 3"-4". Here's a picture

The tank is going to be in the corner, and I feel the center overflow will take away allot of the "depth" I am looking for. I like the idea of the "coast to coast" overflow like yours, but I thought it might be easier (and cheaper) to use the existing overflow which is 10" x 10", by splitting it diagonally and putting each half in the back two corners, I end up with two 10" X 10" overflows. To be honest I am not 100% sure what i will do until I get the tank, put it in place, sit down and look at it for a few hours. :)

No, not retired military, someone at my old club gave me the "the_colonel" name. I was in China for work....

Steve, I went through your build thread very quickly, and am very impressed! I need to take some and go through it in more detail. I would love to come see your setup sometime, and am interested in the recirc mod you did to your G3, as I am thinking about a G4-X.

Thanks! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I will! I am heading back to China next week, then back on September 8th. I will head to Pittsburgh for MANCA on September 15-16 where I will pick up my tank. After that the build starts, and the questions will come!

cool tank you are getting.. have a great time in PA! I wish I was going!!!

Not even sure I am going into the show, just picking up the tank from one of the vendors who is transporting it out there for me from Minnesota. I think just drive out there on Saturday, spend the night, load the tank Sunday morning and drive back. I am planning on renting a 5X8 enclosed trailer from U-Haul for the trip.

driving all the way there and not going in! oh no.. you can't do that... to get into the vendor area is not that much money... like 15$ I think.. I could be wrong... it is the speakers that are $$$

wow that is a long drive... stop off at cracker barrel and pick up a book on tape.. they are wicked cheep to rent there and you can return it to any cracker barrel store..

driving all the way there and not going in! oh no.. you can't do that... to get into the vendor area is not that much money... like 15$ I think.. I could be wrong... it is the speakers that are $$$

wow that is a long drive... stop off at cracker barrel and pick up a book on tape.. they are wicked cheep to rent there and you can return it to any cracker barrel store..

If it is only $15 I will go in, but I though it was $45-$50. Thanks for the advice on the books on tape, I have XM and with enough caffeine the trip should be a breeze!

Back