ORP Too high?

Matt L.

Non-member
I just thought I'd throw this out there, as I recently picked up an OPR probe for my AquaController. I know, I know. I said I'd never monitor ORP, but as I was already running AquaNotes, I figured, why not? It might be interesting.

Well, it is pretty interesting, but after I perform a water change, I notice that my ORP begins to creep up to ~500. Does that seem a little high to anyone else?

Matt:cool:

Hey Matt

My AQII came with an ORP probe so I have been watching it for a couple of years now....I don't think I have ever heard anyone say for sure that one particular number is the magic number to shoot for, I think the most important thing I watch for is sudden shifts in the readings which could indicate a problem. On the other hand ~500 does seem to be a bit on the high side to me...I usually run in the mid to high 300's to the low 400's.

Craig

I generally read 380 until my sump needs a clean and it drops to 350.I vacuum the sump and it goes back to 380.I use the rea sea aquazone 200 plus though so am not familiar if the aquacontroller can be calibrated for orp.The aquazone cannot and the only way to test the probe and meter is using 450mv solution.

seasno said:
....I don't think I have ever heard anyone say for sure that one particular number is the magic number to shoot for, I think the most important thing I watch for is sudden shifts in the readings which could indicate a problem.
Yes, I agree. An absolute ORP value has little meaning. Its really all relative, but...
seasno said:
....On the other hand ~500 does seem to be a bit on the high side to me...I usually run in the mid to high 300's to the low 400's.
...I agree that 500mV just seems pretty high. I don't believe there's a problem with my tank's ORP. I'm just wondering if the meter is out of whack...
ltelus said:
....I use the rea sea aquazone 200 plus though so am not familiar if the aquacontroller can be calibrated for orp.The aquazone cannot and the only way to test the probe and meter is using 450mv solution.
The AquaController can be calibrated, but it shouldn't have to be. I'm wondering if I have a bum probe??? That would suck,

Matt:cool:

If you can acheive an orp level of 420 your sps will flourish. (this has been a quest of mine for over 4 years) When I had my old system my orp was around 395mv to 430mv. When it got up in the range of 410mv & higher I would get all those little bugs on the glass. The ones that are like little fleas. (They are some kind of copepod like the seapods that Jeremy sells @ CRA) When you have them reproducing & on your glass your system is kickin butt!! When I had orp values at the 420mv range my sps looked great & grew like crazy!!! (keep in mind that all other parameters were in check as well!!!) I have an octopus 3000 controller & it has a calibration sequence that you are recommended to do after cleaning the probe. The controller also has a prompt built into the software to remind you that the probes need to be cleaned after 3 months.

If 500 is an acurate reading your system is too sterile. I suggest you get a solution that is an accurate orp mv reading & test your probe to see how accurate it is. Aquamedic carries a 230mv solution to test your orp probe & see how far off it is. No two probes are ever the same value!!!! New or not!!!

Last edited:
orp/redox is very misunderstood. Why strive for super high values when really we should only be trying to maintain NSW? 500 does not seem to be right it could be a dodgy probe!

Back