Other than acros...

bec
here are non acro pics. they are all montis, the second pic was supposed to be of my pyle's wrasse but the coral looks good too. i'll try and get some more pics of some of my other corals tomorrow.

Attachments

• orangeencustingmonti.JPG
    orangeencustingmonti.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 187
  • purplemonti.JPG
    purplemonti.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 181
  • M. hirsuta.JPG
    M. hirsuta.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 174
bec

My LR is pacific but those were on another piece i bought with a coral. There are two of them on the small rock and they are pretty. Under actinics the arms are clear with the nematosit glowing blue.
nice denea as well. Everyone wants the red and blue version and as we can see there are others that may not be as colorful but are just as interesting

O.K. I'll play along

I've posted this pic before but the coral is cool enough to permit it.:rolleyes:

Orange M. Digitata but has a cool "compact" growth pattern. I'm lacking in the rare corals dept.

Attachments

• orange monti.jpg
    orange monti.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 270
Hey dima...

Really nice corals. I believe we share the orange encrusting. It adds great color, doesn't it? That velvety looking encrusting on the branch is wonderful. Do you have any macro shots of that one?

Hey jm -
Another i.d. "debate" that's ongoing (kindly) on the RC sps forum. The red and blue version of the much sought after Montipora, which I do not beleive to be danae (at least mine isn't). Here's a wrasse-eye view.

Attachments

• colors!.jpg
    colors!.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
All the worms that have embedded themselves just beneath the surface of that coral are as cool as the color itself. They really add to the texture and general shape. That one is about the size of a softball right now, sitting pretty much on the sand. I don't know how it will do as the corals above it grow and produce more shade, but it seems o.k. at the moment.

b

Mr. Slippery

wow nice form on that orange digi. I have the same coral but it grows more like and elk horn (long branchs with thick ends). be interesting to figure out why they have different forms bet it is light and current related.

Bec,

guess we need to start a coral DNA testing lab to confirm id's LOL that top down view is the blue red danae? or the other one you have? On another note is is amazing how corals can look so different from when looked at from above vs from the side. I have afew that have good coloe from the side but amazing from above

Yeah... that's a top-down of the blue-red, Montipora please-don't-call-it-danae. :)
It seems that from the top is where most corals appear their most colorful. They catch and reflect the light most fully from there, but in the average reef tank, we only get to see them from the front. Some folks (in much warmer climates) have outdoor, sunlit reef-tubs set up at lower levels for top-down viewing. Those are awesome.

Mr. Slippery -
This thread is about non-acros... not rarities. That digitata is awesome! The growth is more like M. spongodes or M. confusa than any digitata I've seen. But that's definitely digitata. I'm curious... is it located in a high flow area? I'm wondering whether that's why it might have thickened up, rather than producing longer branches like most I've seen.

Here's the shot you requested. Please ignore the purple Acropora in the center. This thread is about non-acros... and that's M. palawensis making like an undulating green landscape beneath the purple thing.

Attachments

• palawensispair.jpg
    palawensispair.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 252
Three years old... started as a frag of about 1.5", and chopped back several times. It's pretty grown out right now compared to where I've let it grow out to in the past. I may move some other things just to let it go a while.

The mandarin is a non-acro ham.

b

Last edited:
Here is one I like that I havn't seen around much. I think it is just a green cap, but it has a nifty castle like growth pattern. It was light yellow when I got it and is a beautiful green now. Here are a couple (not so great) shots showing the color change and growth.

Attachments

• green cap.JPG
    green cap.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 250
Nice coral Cindy. That's a very cool, rugged-looking growth form, much different than the average cap. It also looks really natural in your reef. I bet that beautful green really makes the other corals pop... the way that anthias does!

b

B,

Yessssss....Thats it:D Those two corals complement each other so nicely. And the Mandarin just tops it all off(you put him there for the picture didn't you:rolleyes: )

The Digi is in a somewhat moderate flow area, middle height. It's very orange, probably the best color out of everything in my tank, though it's still not my favorite coral. It definately grows bushy faster than it grows long, but some random branches have a more elongated structure. I'm not really a huge fan of M. Digitatas, in general I find their growth patterns pretty lame, but this one was too cool to pass up.

bec
one day i have to stop in and check out that tank you have some really cool stuff in it. I just got a frag of the palawensis so i am curious on how fast it grows. had mine a month and seems to have grown a little. I have one last unknown coral that i should post but it is a small frag and has not been doing well i have moved it around the tank and still can't find a place it likes

flighty
nice monti had a great form I am really curious to know if it is a green cap. the idea of a dna lab is interesting just to see if stuff is related. another thing to do when i win powerball LOL

I just say green cap because I have no idea what I'm talking about and that is the closest thing I know the name of. I don't really know what it is.

denvig

looks like a green pocillapora (can never spell these names right), nice polyp extension and color on it, must like the spot you have it in. bec has some amazing pink ones

james

This is my "Leng Sy? Montipora Capricornis ....It is a bout 2" round now so I blew it up to try to show its polyps, not the greatest pic. As you can see it is recovering a reefer with fat fingers (me) when mounting....but it is growing nicely

Attachments

• sycap.jpg
    sycap.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Hey Cindy -

I agree with jm.

No one 'really' knows what these corals are... but that's certainly a type of Montipora we all have been calling a cap-type. There are probably 5 different varieties in Verons that it could actually be... but hey, "cap" gives the general idea.

Hey Dennis -

That looks like Stylophora pistilata. Sometimes the green ones are tough ro distinguish between Stylophra and Pocillipora, but that looks like Stylo to me.

EDIT - Looking now at both your colony and mine below... I agree with jm on yours - Pocillipora. I don't know why the greens of those two corals always get me... but they do.

Here's a shot of my similar - but different green Stylophora. I took this macro to illustrate how the shaded branches of this Stylo color up to be pink with deep green polyps, while the branches that get more light appear pink. I'm now trying to provide more shade (training a large acro to gro over it) so that the entire colony colors up with the green polyps.

Attachments

• grnstylo.jpg
    grnstylo.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Back