Other than acros...

bec that last one looks like the one tiny frag i have that is not doing well. what flow/light do you have that under?

Dennis -

I'm glad you posted that spongodes because that's exactly the growth habit I was referring to when talking about Mr. Slippery's digitata at the top of page #3 in this thread. They really do look similar. Your spongodes is really huge now... very cool intertwining with the cap. I can't wait until mine gets large again. You know I lost my colony when another coral tumbed onto it... I was out of town and they killed each other.

Ceige - Nice little cap there! How much light are you giving it? Seems like some of the purple edged caps perfer less light than the solid purple ones.

b

Last edited:
Thanks it is my fav right now. I am running (1) 175wt 10K MH and 150wt of VHO actinic over my 30....I have it off to the side about mid way in the tank and it is doing well so far.

jm -

Lower lighting and medium flow for the Stylo. Mine is mid tank level with indirect lighting (250/10K MH). I find they need a little more flow when they mature because the colony becomes so friggin dense... but only enough flow to make sure a little current is washing through those tight branches. Nothing too strong.

A lot of people put Stylos in very high light, but I have found that they really grow faster and color up better when provided a little cover. I also have a pink with blue polyps. Both corals will go completely pink in high light... but they pretty much stop growing, which I think confirms they are stressed with too much exposure.

b

ceige -

That sounds like the perfect location. Is it getting good flow? It think you'll find that it will develop that spiked, rugged look if it's got good current washing over it.

What else have you got in that 30?

b

Bec the photo only shows about 1/3 to 1/2 of the spongodes. It was not growing up for a long time then once it decided to go up wow. Would you like a frag back?

Hey Dennis -

Yeah... I know that's only a partial view. I actually got a sense of how big it is in the tank shots you posted on the photography forum. I was so psyched to see that coral looking so damned huge! Thanks for the offer on the frag. I actually got one from Paula, and a back-up from Brendan not too long ago. One for the reef and another for the frag tank. Believe it or not, I didn't even have a back up frag in my own frag tank when I lost my main colony!

Those sun polyps look incredible, by the way. We can never see too much of that coral... really beautiful. Whatever you're doing... well done.

b

Thanks reefnroll, I have a SQWD on my return and one of the returns is going over the top of the frag now. I do hope it forms the deep ridges and tall purple sides.

right now I have a olive cap and a brown slimmer, and of course my Sy cap on top. On the bottom of the reef some bright orange zoo?s, metallic green shroms, GSP, YSP, I will be getting a blue Millepora frag from chuck at the next meeting?...and a GBTA that may need to find a new home soon?.

Wow!

ceige -

Sounds like you're filling up that reef in a hurry! Post some shots of those other corals if you can. We would love to see them.

O.k... to keep this page from being a single photo page (albeit a stunning photo up there Dennis), I'm posting another to keep things rolling.

This one is kind of a repeat... an encrusting orange Montipora... but it's actually a different species than the ones in earlier shots in this thread... and becomes almost pinkish in super high light. I placed a little piece in the center of a bunch of corals just to break up the color scheme. You hardly notice it when looking at the whole tank... but I love this little piece of orange crush.

Attachments

• orange.jpg
    orange.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 219
>I have this on that has been growing great. Does anyone know what it is?<

Dennis, yes, as mentioned before it is a Pocillipora damicornis. That morph is identical to the one I got from ORA (from TI). The tissue is a dark color, and the polyps are in tight bunches and are green, and contrast very nicely with the tissue. Grows very fast in my system. Soon enough everyone will be inundated with it!

Greg if you remember I got it from you ;) (a very small frag) but at the time you weren?t sure what it was.

greg you must have some non acro corals we have not seen yet. post some pics

Last edited:
Hey bec,
That's a very nice oxypora piece you have. I was reading about it and saw that it was a low light coral. My question is how low? Would 96w PC be sufficient? If so, I'll have to look around for one of those, or maybe if yours grows out more eventually... I really like the color of yours, more so than some of the green ones I've seen :)
By the way, the Acan echinata frag I got from you a while back seems to be doing fine. My only concern is that I haven't seen any sweeper tentacles aroud the mouths. Is there something that would bring those out? Or is it because the frag is still small?

-Chris

agent saw an oxypore availalble at oneof the stores around town either skiptons or aqua addicts was $100 I think and looked nice

Hey Chris -

Post a photo of that Acanthastrea if you can. I'm glad to hear it is doing well. Acanthastrea don't have super long sweepers, per say (like Echnophyllia)... but they definitely have stinging tentacles that appear mostly after the lights are out. I haven't found luring A. echinata feeders out during daylight hours as easily done as with A. lordowensis. If you place food onto the frag after the lights are out though, you should be able to watch the polyps consume the food... or anything else that gets too close. My A. echinata ate a bunch of random frags that got too close to it before I realized how lethal it is.

As for the Oxypora... I'm really not sure about whether PC's would do it for that coral. The blue w/pink-ornage "mouths" color morph that I have needs indirect MH lighting, in my experience. I would call that medium-low lighting. The Acanthastrea you've got is in almost complete shade in my tank, which is why I think the PCs are fine. I'm not sure whether the Oxy would need a certain amount of intensity... even indirectly... to keep it healthy and colorful.

b

Recently? I know they had a greenish one at skiptons a few weeks ago. I think it's gone now, unless you saw one more recently?

Back