Ozone - Tell me what you know!

Jennifer

Moody and emotional slob
What are the latest theories about using ozone through the skimmer?

I do not plan to use high doses of it, and it will be hooked up to a controller.
My new setup is going to be actively vented to the out doors.

Do I need to run carbon on the outflow of the skimmer?
Will I need to run carbon on the top of the skimmer?
Am I better off finding or building an ozone reactor?

Ozone reactors are really hard to find these days. (have been doing lots of searching on the net)

Also does anyone have a Gen-x ozone generator, that can tell me what the paper work says about cleaning the unit inside (through the corona discharge chamber)?
I bought a used generator that works fine but I need to know how to clean it.

Thanks Yall

OH I just thought I would let you know, I have read every paper on ozone that the net has to offer. Nothing seems to be that recent though, and well you know how things can change in this hobby.

hmmm.. well i know that reefkeeper2 (Paul) runs ozone.. and he has a fantastic looking tank.. i wouldn't attribute it all to that though.

I don't know much about it, but from what i understand most people say it's not really too beneficial to a reef.. similar to how a lot of people don't think a UV sterilizer does much for a reef.

I'd be interested to learn more about ozone, but not much has changed.. still very few people use ozone it seems.

IMO it's too much BS for too little benefit. It was the "it" device in the eighties and early nineties but has fallen to the wayside. As was stated before it's like using UV in a reef tank. You can get by just fine without it and the extra maintanence/expense.

Last I heard Anthony Calfo was an ozone proponent. You might want to try looking and or asking in his forum on the marine depot forums (assuming that's still where he can be found?).

Ozone will always be in use somewhere. It is great for oxidizing organics and therefor helps or should help if used correctly to raise your REDOX potential. As Randy has stated before its best to run it through a reactor than a skimmer primarily b/c contact time. Some people seem to report a skimming efficiency and some the opposite. You can build a reactor easily yourself or buy one... I have a few links saved for a DIY reactor and also a place that sells one that is fairly inexpensive. I'll get them for you when I have more time. And the internet these days isn't always reliable as books...hence my library lol. Also for fwiw its easy to administer and monitor, just go slow on adjustments.

Back