Paint inside of tank?

sutton6989

BRS Member
U guys think it will be okay to paint the inside of my i overflow glass? Also paint the pvc. Can't stand the whiye pvc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Use Krylon paint. Once it dries you shouldn't have a problem. That's how I painted my PVC and what reefers usually use.

Higor

Ya I'm just worried about the overflow with paint leeching stuff into the water

I've used the krylon plastic paint to paint some white fake coral in the seahorse tank, with no ill effects. the paint however slowly chips off. not sure if I rushed to put it in the tank and did not give it a chance to fully cure.

Awesome thank you. I had glass cut for the coast to coast and forgot to have them use black glass.

Krylon plastic for the pvc for sure. I'm not so sure about the inside glass though. It will be reef safe, but wouldn't it still flake off the glass? I've never painted inside glass that was exposed to water. You might want to keep researching that our find someone who has done it.

...stupid auto correct

I wouldn't chance it. just my 2 cents.

People use it all the time for years... Never heard anything bad happen. I have used it in all of my tanks at one point or another.

Krylon plastic for the pvc for sure. I'm not so sure about the inside glass though. It will be reef safe, but wouldn't it still flake off the glass? I've never painted inside glass that was exposed to water. You might want to keep researching that our find someone who has done it.

...stupid auto correct

Go on Reef Central and you will find people who paint Egg Crate with Krylon paint to use it as frag racks. I have never done it myself, but some people do it...

Last edited:
I think the paint is basicly inert once it dries but every time I used it it eventually weed out. What about getting thin plastic sheet cutting it to fit the front of the overflow and using magnets to fix it in place. Then you could take it out to clean it if you wished.

Hey Higorc, I'm not questioning plastic. I have Krylon painted pvc in my tank. He also wants to paint his glass overflow that sits in the water. That is what I said I would do more research on. Every post here so far has talked about plastic or pvc. Not glass. I don't think I've seen anyone paint the inside glass before.

Edit: good suggestion cilyjr.

...stupid auto correct

Last edited:
Ya if I can paint the pvc then I can not paint the glass overflow

Paint will stick a lot more to PVC then it will glass IMO. More voids in the PVC for it to stick to. Glass isn't textured enough to hold paint to its surface. Especially under water with flow constantly hitting it.... I wouldn't do that. PVC may be fine....but glass under water?

Back