pH just hit 8.8 holy moly, help

reefsmurf

Non-member
On my 29g I do automatic doses of 30ml of bionic 2 part (yes it's a very crowded tank) and I havent been dosing for days now, yet ph has now risen to 8.8 at peak (right before lights turn off). Holy crap. What should I do?

I am using a digital PH meter like all of you and i put the probe in my other tanks and they register normal (8.2+ in one, and 8.3+ in the other)

Specific gravity is at 1.026

I poured some vinegar in to get things down under control, but was wondering what could cause pH creepage like that other than lack of CO2. I have a airstone drive PM skimmer on it which should help a little.

Vinegar will help bring it down. Do it slow. Had the same problem (not as bad) because of kalk drip.

I would do a 10% water change, when put new water in do it slow. Then keep a eye on it, see how much it went down. Wait a day or two and do it again.

concur...i would bring it down with water changes on that volume of water...vinegar could drop it way too quick which could be more damaging then the high ph depending on how long its been that high.

So you didn't dose for two days and the ph went up? I would expect the opposite...remind me is part 2 cal or alk? probably calcium

Water change will take a long time to drop it. The other thing that I would do is cut your light cycle. The ph is probably changing for 7.9 to the 8.8 at the end of the light cycle. ( I hope it is the end of the cycle). I normally add kalk at night, instead I added about 2 oz of white vinegar to the 2 gallons of make up water and dripped it during the day. Three times dropped the 180 gallons back to 8.4 at the end of the day. Extra air might help drop it also.

Back