Tank hit 86 yesterday!

Owen386

Non-member
Hey fellow reefers,

Just a friendly reminder this is the time of season that we might not have the ACS hooked up in the house(I didn't), and we get those rogue hot days.

Got stuck at work till like 8 yesterday unexpectedly. Got home and first thing I hear is the alarm from rkl. Turn to my gf like ummm... You cant hear that? "Ummm nooo" (meanwhile she could hear every gurgle of the tank when I was setting it up)

Tank was at 86! Got some fans going shut off lights opened up canopy etc. Etc... Got it to drop 3 degrees within the hour. All inhabitants were fine but wouldn't wanna go much hotter!

So just a reminder to watch those tanks on these hot days before we are cooling our homes.

Gotta get my cooling hooked up to my controller.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

P.S GOT A FEW PMS YESTERDAY INBOX WAS FULL PLEASE RESEND

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about your emergency.

This was one of the main reasons I bought a controller in the first place - the ability to both heat and cool with proper monitoring and alarms. I've had great luck with small, high speed fans on the sump and display hooked up to the temperature monitoring to keep our tanks cool.

The one thing to keep in mind is that the cooling works by increased evaporation - so make sure that your ATO is up to the task of keeping your tank filled - otherwise you'll have both temperature AND salinity spikes that are going to stress out your critters.

Grab a fan and hook it up to the reef keeper temp probe

^^^ This. All day long, this. I have a fan hanging mounted to the underside of my tank in the stand that blows air around and when i'm not home I leave the cabinet doors open.

I also have central A/C, so... Yeah lol. If you can afford central air, do it. I don't know how I ever went without.
Pair that with a nice Generac generator box with auto on/off and you never have to worry about anything, ever, with anything, ever. Lol.

I have cooling fans both in my sump and in my canopy USUALLLY hooked up to my controller. Disconnected them for whatever reason over the winter forgot to hook them back up. I`m outta of work soon and that will be the first thing I do when I get home. SO MAKE SURE YOUR COOLING DEVICES ARE HOOKED UP!!

My tank never went over 79 thanks to my controller. It turns off my light, skimmer and kicks on the fan. Best thing I have gotten for the system.

We have central air but I will still program my RKE to turn off some lighting or kick on a small fan over the sump if temps creep up. Yesterday I noticed it was up to 78.9 (set to 78, +/- .1 degrees) Wont hurt and its an easy plan B and C... Thanks for the reminder.

I have a 40gal breeder too. I've had trouble keeping the temp im the sweet sot. Last summer I cooked it with frozen 1 L bottles floating in he tank. can you please share more about how you regulate temp? What equip and sensors do you use?

Mike

We have central air but I will still program my RKE to turn off some lighting or kick on a small fan over the sump if temps creep up. Yesterday I noticed it was up to 78.9 (set to 78, +/- .1 degrees) Wont hurt and its an easy plan B and C... Thanks for the reminder.

Do you run halide/T5?

I have a 40gal breeder too. I've had trouble keeping the temp im the sweet sot. Last summer I cooked it with frozen 1 L bottles floating in he tank. can you please share more about how you regulate temp? What equip and sensors do you use?

Mike

I use a Reef Keeper Lite with temp probe. Anything above 78 triggers a clip on fan in my sump to run. I used to also have a 4 fan unit on my display that would turn on at the same temp. They have 2,4, and 6 fan bar models available on eBay and Amazon.
I highly recommend owning an ATO if you go this route as evaporation is insane between high heat and fan use.

Can get an RKL new for about $100 or used for about $75. Clip fans are about $8 and the bar ones are anywhere from $20-$60 depending the size. Generally $10 per fan on the unit. Price may have dropped since I owned them last , check Fish-Street for cheap ones.

I have a Coolworks Ice Probe Chiller for sale, but IDK how well it would accomplish things on a 40g. Only used it up to 29g.

Last edited:
I've been running reef tanks off and on since the 90's. My heaters turn on at 78.5, my lights turn off at 83. Letting your tank run a little warmer in the summer might save you a few $$$ and increase your coral growth. Also letting the temp. swing a bit will make your corals a bit hardier.

Do you run halide/T5?

I use a Reef Keeper Lite with temp probe. Anything above 78 triggers a clip on fan in my sump to run. I used to also have a 4 fan unit on my display that would turn on at the same temp. They have 2,4, and 6 fan bar models available on eBay and Amazon.
I highly recommend owning an ATO if you go this route as evaporation is insane between high heat and fan use.

Can get an RKL new for about $100 or used for about $75. Clip fans are about $8 and the bar ones are anywhere from $20-$60 depending the size. Generally $10 per fan on the unit. Price may have dropped since I owned them last , check Fish-Street for cheap ones.

I have a Coolworks Ice Probe Chiller for sale, but IDK how well it would accomplish things on a 40g. Only used it up to 29g.

I run a 6 bulb t5. Two plug. (2 & 4)

Yeah that will put off some heat. I'd definitely consider some form of digital temperature cooling.

Was easier than I thought to program. Already have high and low alarms. Took 2 minutes. Thanks for the reminder!

Ultimate solution, whole house chiller

Set at 77°F middle of May. Set and forget until mid September,

Attachments

• a-c.jpg
    a-c.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 230
Back