Pistol Shrimp and Goby

One Eye

former vp of pr
I picked up an Orange Spot Shrimp Goby and a Carribean Pistol Shrimp last week. I haven't seen the shrimp since I put it in the tank. It hit the water running. I see the goby hanging out under the same ledge all the time. But I don't see any sand flying or rubble piles that would suggest the shrimp is with the goby. Any Ideas on how to find out if the thing is still alive?

I have a yellow watchman goby, and I bought a pistol shrimp to pair with it about 3-4 months ago. I hadn't seen it until last week, when I had the lights out, and I looked down to a hole under a rock that the goby always was. I was sitting there looking, and all of a sudden I see the goby move and I saw the shirmp. But it wasn't like I didn't know he was there, I hear him almost every night. Once in a while I won't hear him for a week or so, I don't know if something happens that he can't make the noise when he sheds/molts, but then I start hearing him again.

I haven't heard a thing out of the tank. I looked and saw a large sand pile in the back of the tank, so it's probably the shrimp, but the goby doesn't hang out there.
I never kept a shrimp, goby, combo before. Is it typical that the shrimp is only out at night?

It's typical in my experience that you rarely see the shrimp at all, especially if it's a smaller variety. But the sand pile is a sure sign. I'd bet your goby will eventually move in with the shrimp, when the new home is "ready".

What type of shrimp and goby do you have?

Nate, it was sold as a carribean pistol shrimp. And an orangespotted goby. Actualy looks just like the pair on page 342 of Scott Micheals Marine Fishes.

I have a Tiger pistol that is with my Pink Spot. He is out all the time plowing the sand (never stops). He excavates the whole left side of the tank. Make sure your rock is secure or you may just find the remains of an earthquake some morning.

i have a flag tail goby and randals pistol and see them alot they actualy made there home right in front so we can watch them all the time. but usualy all you see is the goby and alot of sand flying its amazing how much that little guy can move. my pair during feeding is kind of funny the goby comes out and wags his tail and the shrimp comes out and grabs something. couldnt have a tank without them

I have 2 small candy cane (A.Randalli) pistol shrimp in my tank. I rarely ever see any signs of them. No digging, nothing. Occasionally when I feed I see a shrimp come out of a hole under a rock to try and grab some food.

My pistol was incognito for months, I had no idea if he was even in there, and then i got a goby and he's out all the time now.

Back