PJ's Pet Center in Saugus, MA

Status
Not open for further replies.

HKAVR45

Non-member
Just curious to see if anyone has any positive/negative feedback/experiences regarding PJ's. I live in Medford so this LFS is the closest and I usually end up going there.

I've been to the PJ's in Saugus alot in the past, not so much anymore, but they are a step above Petco, maybe 2-3 or 5 steps, but I find their prices a tad high and their knowledge mixed depending on who is working. Comments about other stores not permitted

Last edited by a moderator:
For Saugus store and for fish, they are pretty good and overall their employee have a good knowledge. It's pretty close to me so i buy most of the fish from this store.

They are good with fish and inverts, but have limited coral selection.

I have only been to the one in saugus, I used to work the meat dept at the stop n shop next door. So sometimes on break id shoot over just to look, never to by! The fish dont really look so hot most of the time and it has been my experince with the staff that they give out tons of misinformation. EDIT- second hand account removed ID be careful shopping here. Just make sure you know what your looking for and what it needs to survive.

PJ's is good for dry goods and you can find good deals on zoas and fish at times. But they are not my first choice for anything big.....aka good stuff....

Please restrict your comments in this forum to your OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCES, and do not relate the second hand experiences of others.

Thanks, Nate

I usually have trouble finding prices on their saltwater fish (but the FW fish are pretty clearly marked).

For freshwater, thier driftwood is hard to beat in terms of shapes/sizes/price, but I think thats the only thing I specifically go there for.

>I have only been to the one in saugus<

FWIW, there was another PJ's, I forget where, but it shutdown a year or so ago. The only one that exists to my knowledge now is the one in Saugus.

I used to buy lots of things ranging from livestock to dry goods at PJ's in Saugus in the past. Now I just go out of curiosity when I'm in the area and very rarely buy anything. Dry goods seem over priced, poor advice from less than knowledgable employees(except one, can't remember his name) and I have nothing but pity for the animals in their care. The coral tanks look so neglected on occasions, I really don't understand how they sell any at all.

PJs is a great "emergency" store for me. If I run out of carbon, tubing, food (they now sell PE mysis) I go there since it is the closest store. I have also found the prices to be high, but the convenience is great.

I must admit that if I see a fish that I like and it looks to be in good health, I usually will buy it there. The last fish I bought there was a few weeks ago. It is a Majestic Angel and she is doing great! In the past I have gotten a Xmas wrasse (Halichores Ornatissimus) there (had him 4 years before vanishing), Clarkii Clown (still alive and well after almost 6 years), Copperband Butterfly (Doing well after 1 year in my tank), Scolymia Coral (doing well after 2 months in my tank), and last but not least a Heteractis Magnifica Anemone and paired ocellaris clowns (The Magnifica continues to grow and thrive for almost 6 years in my tank...lost one male clown after 4 years and the new one has done well for the last 2 years).

I think that for a store that is not exclusively a fish store, PJs is a pretty good place to get fish, drygoods(more expensive than online or exclusive LFSs - emergency only!) and an occasional coral.

Greg Hiller said:
>I have only been to the one in saugus<

FWIW, there was another PJ's, I forget where, but it shutdown a year or so ago. The only one that exists to my knowledge now is the one in Saugus.

Correct. Saugus is the only one. Used to have a store in the Dedham and one in the Assembly Square Mall (when it was there). Doug (the owner) closed the Dedham one and opened one in Medford at the Meadow Glenn Mall, then the Assembly Square Mall one was closed along with the mall itself and then he shut down Medford.

PJs has gone through it's ups and downs as far as the SW department goes. About 10 years ago it was a great place to get SW fish...not so much corals as they didn't have the technology (lighting) to do so, but the staff was good. There was a gentleman named Glenn who worked some nights there who was brilliant. Hopefully Doug can get a knowledgable person in there to bring that department back.

Chuck, congrats on that Majestic. I saw him a few weeks ago and was tempted but my current angels are far too big and would have killed him. Good to know he went to a great home.

Mini4x said:
Comments about other stores not permitted

In vendor experinces, I guess not, just re-read rules.. but my refecnece was minimal..

I said they were better then that other big chain store..

Last edited:
I used to work at PJ's, and sometimes still miss it. It was a much much simpler time.
My advice regarding PJ's. They get shipments in on Thursday. This is the best time to buy stuff, before it goes into their tanks. I worked there when the tanks were good, and when they were bad. They have a great system setup, as long as it gets maintnance. The problem is it rely's on the staff to do it. Some weeks were better than others, and some staff were also better than others. It mainly employes high school students, so......

Staff. I always had fun working there. I did not always know what I was doing or selling. This still happens there now. We worked on a commision bonus. Some people take that to hart more than others (consider yourself warned). I started in fresh water, and would always get pulled into saltwater when we were understaffed, usually by the customer. Knowlege be DAMMED.
So know what your buying and looking at. Even after I figured out what I was doing in saltwater, customers only half listen to you most of the time, and hear mostly what they want to, so this atmospher makes it easy for high school students to tell you what you want to hear, after they learn.

*note not trying to justify this, just letting you know what I observed.

All this being said, I think they had/have decent stuff, as long as you are carefull. More than half my fish are from there. And prices are semi flexiable there on live goods, if you go there a few times and they recognize you.

If you have a quarantine tank doug will sell you ANYTHING for a discount that dosn't look "good".

PJs

You really need to know what you want if you buy livestock there. There is currently a reefer that is working in the SW who is knowledeable to a point. I agree that the best time is to buy fish when they arrive. In fact I did this with my Majestic Angel and it is doing fine. I told the sales guy to leave him in the shipping bag....no sense acclimating twice:D

Owen22 said:
I used to work at PJ's, and sometimes still miss it. It was a much much simpler time.
My advice regarding PJ's. They get shipments in on Thursday. This is the best time to buy stuff, before it goes into their tanks. I worked there when the tanks were good, and when they were bad. They have a great system setup, as long as it gets maintnance. The problem is it rely's on the staff to do it. Some weeks were better than others, and some staff were also better than others. It mainly employes high school students, so......

Staff. I always had fun working there. I did not always know what I was doing or selling. This still happens there now. We worked on a commision bonus. Some people take that to hart more than others (consider yourself warned). I started in fresh water, and would always get pulled into saltwater when we were understaffed, usually by the customer. Knowlege be DAMMED.
So know what your buying and looking at. Even after I figured out what I was doing in saltwater, customers only half listen to you most of the time, and hear mostly what they want to, so this atmospher makes it easy for high school students to tell you what you want to hear, after they learn.

*note not trying to justify this, just letting you know what I observed.

All this being said, I think they had/have decent stuff, as long as you are carefull. More than half my fish are from there. And prices are semi flexiable there on live goods, if you go there a few times and they recognize you.

If you have a quarantine tank doug will sell you ANYTHING for a discount that dosn't look "good".

I used to love PJ's when i setup my first reef 8 years ago! They seemed to have gone downhill since then. The coral tank has some of the ugliest corals i've ever seen and they don't look super healthy and the prices are high. Evrytime i go there i'm in noman's land in the saltwater dept. I think there is 1 guy who knows his stuff but i've never seen him because i go weeknights. I always have to wait a long time for a freshwater guy who gives crappy advice. They wouldn't even feed the fish i wanted to buy so i got upset and then she did. Like i was asking for something unreasonable. Thier prices on drygoods is way high. I've seen a couple nice fish but that's about it. It's too bad because i think it has the potential to be a great store. The setup is nice. All they have to do is hire 2 more saltwater enthusiats and get nicer corals.

well ive worked at pjs on and off for the past five years, and for the most part i dont disagree with what most of you are saying. Staff knowledge is fairly limited in the salt water deptartment aside from Larry the dept. manager and myself, and a few others to a lesser extent, but the thing to remember is that P.J's is not a marine specific store. Clearly an employee with fair to moderate knowledge in several fields, i.e dogs/cats, small animals/birds, f.w fish/reptiles, is a far more valuable one than someone with only experience in one general displine to the store. You cant just assume that the kids working there are idiots or dont know anything because they might not know the difference between Caulerpa Taxifola and C. Prolifera, or something equally as trivial. Most of you are the real 'experts' anyways, so why are you relying on highschool students to give you the advice to questions that you either already know the answers to, or could easily find on this board? The hobby of marine husbandry can be a very frustrating one at times, and its usually because of the people you have to deal with that know everything there is to know after 2-3 years of practice. And no, I'm not just some highschool student. I'm currently one year away from getting my b.a in Biology with a celular biology concentration, have had experience working for the New england aquarium, and have been keeping marine tanks for the past 10+ years. P.J's is a fine place that DOES in fact sell healthy livestock Edit - argumentative discussion removed. Keep it to facts about the store please

The post above was deleted for violation of the forum rules listed below.

Please remember this is a public forum. Any and all slanderous statements are the liability of the author or poster. BRS assumes no liability in such slanderous statements.

This forum is not a battle ground. We will not tolerate "flaming" or "bashing" of any kind, from any party, be it member or vendor. Any such discussion shall be removed immediately and a warning given. Continued "flaming" or "bashing" shall result in suspension and/or banning of posting privileges. Experience discussed here is limited to personal experience only. Discussion of others experience will be removed immediately.
EXAMPLE OF APPRIOPRIATE USE:
Since this has already come up as a question, there is a distinction between discussing your experience with a vendor and "flaming/bashing". Stick to facts. Do not call people names. An example:

"The people at the store were bozos." BAD (bashing)

"The employees did not tell me that the fish needed special food and a higher-than normal temperature. They just didn't seem very knowledgable to me." ACCEPTABLE

Please keep comments/threads focused on a single vendor. Do not reference other stores within a thread.

Guys the above threat that one eye is talking about is mine. My fault and just to express my opinion on PJ's there is a guy who works there who is either a manager or an employee who is skinny and has glasses(i think). He treats people like crap and I personally will never step foot in PJ's because of him. thats it

Cramrod said:
well ive worked at pjs on and off for the past five years, and for the most part i dont disagree with what most of you are saying. Staff knowledge is fairly limited in the salt water deptartment aside from Larry the dept. manager and myself, and a few others to a lesser extent, but the thing to remember is that P.J's is not a marine specific store. Clearly an employee with fair to moderate knowledge in several fields, i.e dogs/cats, small animals/birds, f.w fish/reptiles, is a far more valuable one than someone with only experience in one general displine to the store. You cant just assume that the kids working there are idiots or dont know anything because they might not know the difference between Caulerpa Taxifola and C. Prolifera, or something equally as trivial. Most of you are the real 'experts' anyways, so why are you relying on highschool students to give you the advice to questions that you either already know the answers to, or could easily find on this board? The hobby of marine husbandry can be a very frustrating one at times, and its usually because of the people you have to deal with that know everything there is to know after 2-3 years of practice. And no, I'm not just some highschool student. I'm currently one year away from getting my b.a in Biology with a celular biology concentration, have had experience working for the New england aquarium, and have been keeping marine tanks for the past 10+ years. P.J's is a fine place that DOES in fact sell healthy livestock if you can bare to pull your head out of your a** for 20 minutes and realize not everyone knows as much as you.

Maybe is not necessarily us who is relying on high school students to give us the advice necessary, but the first timer or novice who wants to do it the right way an perhaps is not getting the right answers (i.e. "sure you can keep that hippo in a 20 gallon with no problem"). By no means am I saying that this is going on at PJ's, but it surely goes on in the industry. It is eveident by reading posts on this site and others that it goes on at both chain and individual store levels.

I guess all I am trying to say is if you are selling a product and people are relying on your expertise to guide them in making their decision you are better off saying "I don't know" rather than trying to seem like you know about someting that you don't. Mind you this may be an extreme example, but I don't want to go to a doctor for surgery and for him to seem like he knows what he is doing while he is really winging it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back