*Planned Power Outage*

Jennifer

Moody and emotional slob
I just got this letter from National Grid telling me that on friday april 25, they will shutting off the power in my neighborhood. Starting at 8 am and will be off until 6 pm. It will be off for 10 hours. I called them and they said it will be down completely not intermitent for the whole time. I do not own a generator but now it looks like I will have to find 1 by friday morning. Geez what a pita

I know I should have 1 already with all of my tanks. It was just a matter of time till something like this happened.

Thanks all - Jenn

Thanks MINI4X I just called them and they have 2 a 2500watt for $54 a day, and a 5600watt for $77 a day. I think the 2500 watt would work but not sure. I need to keep running a mag 7, mag 3, 2 air pumps a fluval canister, and a large 802 powerhead/retun at minimum. Not sure if I need to run the 3 skimmers. NO tanks light thats fine.

Now that I type this I forgot about the heaters prob just 800 watts or so in heaters.
Maybe better to get the 5600watt?

2500 would be plenty
looks like your tank draw without heaters or skimmer would be less that 200watts, depending on the generator heaters may or may not run properly so unless its a very cold day skip them. Skimmer is a take it or leave it.
Looks like you'd have plenty for your frige too ;)

Get the 5600 watt.....better to have extra and not enough. It's only $23 more.....worth it for the safety of your 7 tanks:p.

You should also be able to plug your refrigerator into the generator as well. With the price of food these days, $77 is probably less than you'd pay to restock what spoiled.

2500 would be plenty
looks like your tank draw without heaters or skimmer would be less that 200watts, depending on the generator heaters may or may not run properly so unless its a very cold day skip them. Skimmer is a take it or leave it.
Looks like you'd have plenty for your frige too ;)

Thanks - Marco
Cool frosty beverages while I am home watching my dark tanks and listening to a generator groan.

Miller Get the 5600 watt.....better to have extra and not enough. It's only $23 more.....worth it for the safety of your 7 tanks.

Thanks Barry I was thinking that too. maybe better to air on the side of caution.

If you are there to refill bigger is better but if you'll be gone, the smaller presumably more fuel efficient (longer run time) model may be an extra piece of mind.

(not to be contrary just a thought :) )

Last edited:
If you are there to refill bigger is better but if you'll be gone, the smaller presumably more fuel efficient (longer run time) model may be an extra piece of mind.

True True. I am taking the day off so I can start the genny and make sure everything is fine all day. Gonna be really boring though. Laptop batteries only last so long. Or maybe I can run my laptop and router from the genny.LOL
Prob end up reading a book!

You should also be able to plug your refrigerator into the generator as well. With the price of food these days, $77 is probably less than you'd pay to restock what spoiled.

Totally, plus the smell if the food went "off".

Make sure you keep a substantial fuel supply for that generator....I would bet it will suck down a lot of gas, so don't forget to add 3.49/gallon times <x-gallons> to the tally. I'd get 10 gallons to start....you can throw any extra back into your car.

BTW, thank you for helping dispel the cognitive dissonance for the ridiculous amount I spent on my auto-transfer generator :D

Not sure what you are planning for electrical connection to the generator. But I would also plan on getting a few long heavy duty extension cords. When I had my portable generator, I plugged the heavy NEMA connector on the generator (whic hcan handle the generator's total peak output power) into a manual transfer switch and then plugged in heavy duty extension cords for each required 15 or 20 amp circuit. You should put each circuit on a separate extension cord as opposed to plugging everything into one with multiple plugs. You definitely should, at minimum, plug your tank into one extension cord (as long as the extension can handle the amperage required for your tank - otherwise split this circuit as well) and your refridgerator into another.

I may have a long heavy outdoor extension cable if you need one.

Last edited:
I would just fill my compressor with air.And then when the time comes just duct tape a my air nozzle over the side of the tank.:p
But the generator idea sounds easier and more practical.
But I'll keep my Porta Cable filled just incase you need it.;)

I would just fill my compressor with air.And then when the time comes just duct tape a my air nozzle over the side of the tank.:p
But the generator idea sounds easier and more practical.
But I'll keep my Porta Cable filled just incase you need it.;)

yikes....oil in compressor air would scare the crap outta me on that one!

i would say you will only be out of power for 3-5 hours tops. they give you a larger time frame just to be safe. usually to convert 4kv to 13 kv . send me a pm and i may be able to get more info for you. also you will never get any $$ from a power co. for somthing like this.

If it's not going to be that long maybe just a few of those "Silent"....yah right....battery air pumps and a 1/2 dozen batteries would be enough.

Well I spoke to the P/C engineer and he said they need to replace a couple of transformers and a few other things. So he says I will be off for the full ten hours. I hope it is much less. I am going to rent the genny and I believe it comes with 1 heavy cord that I can plug other cords in to. That should hopefully take care of it.
I like the idea of the compressor - Stingy, but with 5 tanks and my phytostation I just dont think its practical. PLus I might get pretty tired running back and forth between tanks. LOL
OH and I asked them about getting reimbursed for the genny. Not likely to happen but they said I could submit a claim anyway.

Generator

Sounds like you are all set! Not to be a PITA but make sure the load on each extension cord does not exceed the cord's recommended maximum current capacity. Good luck - I'm sure you will be fine.:)

Well I spoke to the P/C engineer and he said they need to replace a couple of transformers and a few other things. So he says I will be off for the full ten hours. I hope it is much less. I am going to rent the genny and I believe it comes with 1 heavy cord that I can plug other cords in to. That should hopefully take care of it.
I like the idea of the compressor - Stingy, but with 5 tanks and my phytostation I just dont think its practical. PLus I might get pretty tired running back and forth between tanks. LOL
OH and I asked them about getting reimbursed for the genny. Not likely to happen but they said I could submit a claim anyway.

Back