Poll of the Day: Rock

What Type Of Rock

• Total voters

BiGGiePauls33

Current BRS President
Staff member
Officer
BRS Member
Leave a comment of what type of rock you use, prefer or would like to use.

When I started my biocube I used Marco dry rock. With a single piece of live from I forget where.
When I jumped to my 40 I used all the old rock plus some more dry rock from Billy Hay and also a huge piece I got from @frank180reef.
When I started the 75 everything from the 40 plus maybe 2 or 3 dry rock pieces.

I use a combo of Walt Smith live rock and fiji reef rock

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I started out by buying an established tank which included live rock.

In upgrading tanks, I added dry rock (along with much of my current live rock).

If I were to start from scratch, I would use dry rock (Marco rock type) with a chunk of live to seed it.

I got all live rock. I love the critters that come with it. My rock was all from either a pet store where I could observe it, or a fellow reefer/Dong. Any “pests” are not harmful.

I felt it helped with the cycle as well having a lot of established live rock.

I’d love to see more ceramic aquascapes especially with branch now being unavailable. If I could afford it I’d have a scape fabricated that included the wreck of the orca

first set up was all live rock. when I did tank swap to the 120g I added 100lbs of dry rock with the 55lbs of love rock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

First tank Fiji premium live rock. Then added Marco rock ( pukani not what he sells now) to the next upgrade. Now I started with live Marco rock ( pukani) from a 11 year old system without a cycle.

Pukani, live or dead is the best rock I’ve ever used. Not a fan of the reef saver/Marco stuff these days. Heavy and dense imo compared to pukani.

Pukani, live or dead is the best rock I’ve ever used. Not a fan of the reef saver/Marco stuff these days. Heavy and dense imo compared to pukani.[/QUOTE
Loved the Pukani, I wish it was still available.

First tank Fiji premium live rock. Then added Marco rock ( pukani not what he sells now) to the next upgrade. Now I started with live Marco rock ( pukani) from a 11 year old system without a cycle.
I remember Fiji Live and Walt Smith rock deeming with life.

Last edited:
I haven't bought just rock in a long time, when I first started in this hobby 25 years ago I would buy live rock from different LFS. And I've accumulated more from buying systems over the years. Yes some come with "pests" but they all do their part in the ecosystem and most have natural predators.

When I first started the hobby, I thought liverock is the best rock you can start with(maybe it is). I spend over $400 for 50lbs of liverock at SeaWorld back in 2004. As my experience and knowledge of reef accumulate, I now will only use dry/base rocks that you find at BRS or lfs.
The liverock is nice. However, it does come with unwanted pests and algae. Any deadrock can be live given time. If I knew I'll be starting up a tank again, I'll buy the rocks ahead of time and let it soak with the water from my waterchange. Run a pump in it without any light and let it sit. The longer it sits, the better.
My current tank was started this way and I spent about the same amount on rocks to fill a 360gallons compare to a 29gallon when I first started the hobby.

When I first started the hobby, I thought liverock is the best rock you can start with(maybe it is). I spend over $400 for 50lbs of liverock at SeaWorld back in 2004. As my experience and knowledge of reef accumulate, I now will only use dry/base rocks that you find at BRS or lfs.
The liverock is nice. However, it does come with unwanted pests and algae. Any deadrock can be live given time. If I knew I'll be starting up a tank again, I'll buy the rocks ahead of time and let it soak with the water from my waterchange. Run a pump in it without any light and let it sit. The longer it sits, the better.
My current tank was started this way and I spent about the same amount on rocks to fill a 360gallons compare to a 29gallon when I first started the hobby.
Nice to hear. I've been cooking some MarcosRock for the last 6+ months as you've stated above.

Pukani, live or dead is the best rock I’ve ever used. Not a fan of the reef saver/Marco stuff these days. Heavy and dense imo compared to pukani.
I believe that the denser rock might actually be a good thing for the new minimalist rock scapes. It should have a better denitrifying capability than porous rock.

Back