Problem with bottom of AGA/Aqueon 120g Pine Stand

Matt L.

Non-member
For my 120gal setup, I have the traditional black pine AGA/Aqueon Stand. I purchased it in April of 2010.

the problem is specific to the rather flimsy, plywood bottom shelf.

Like most reefers, I keep my sump and refugium down below.

I have a 20gal sump on the right which runs about half full, and a 10gal refugium on the left which runs full.

On the left, I have noticed that the plywood is giving way, and the refugium is beginning to sag to the right (to the center of the cabinet). The depression is pretty severe now.

In the old days, I had a particle board (modern) AGA stand that warped. But that was years ago.

I am virtually positive that the bottom plywood lends no structural support to the stand.

And clearly, I need to remove the refugium, before the tilt becomes so severe that the refugium tank cracks.

But can I repair this bottom piece of plywood? I imagine that with leaks from the refugium, it has begun to rot out.

Can I cut away the rotted and warped part down below? Has anyone ever done this? Again, this isn't the sides of the cabinet, but the flimsy plywood piece on the bottom. If I remove part of the bottom, I could use the firm floor underneath the aquarium to support the refugium.

Can I just add a shelf above the bottom part to elevate my refugium, that is fastened to the sides of the stand? The refigium is just a 10gal plexiglass tank that maybe weighs 100lbs. I could replace it with a 5gal tank that would weigh much less.

Please advise,

Matt:cool:

just cut a new piece of plywood the same size as the old shelf and lay it over the old one. use 3/4 plywood should last for long while. only going to bring you up and inch and add more support. no cutting of the stand involved if that's all your worried about. i don't really see an issue with cutting out the old one as long as your not cutting the sides or a support that runs across the middle under the shelf. i would probably just leave the old one there though and add a layer....

Does the 1/8" plywood sit under the actual stand and on to the floor? If so, just cut a piece and paint it. Staple the new piece in place and trash the old piece if it bothers you.

I am making this statement based upon the 180g I have seen in the past.

Put a few layers of gloss/semi-gloss paint or even a piece of cheap plexiglass afterwards.

I have the same 120 gal stand. And I wanted the extra inch and a half that you get if you talk that bottom out. I don't think it is at all structural, and if it is it could only provide support against twisting.

So I took my bottom plywood out, went to home depo and got some big L brackets, and added them to the corners.

I agree with Reverond. If I'm visualizing it correctly, all the plywood base does is help prevent the vertical (load bearing) portions of the stand from twisting. If the four faces of the stand are connected another way, which I assume they are, then you should have no worries removing the base. Personally I'd remove any rotten portions and replace them with new pieces. Rotten wood will just grow mold, attract pests, and continue to damage adjacent portions.

Thank you all for the advice.

I already removed the refugium and transfered the contents to a bucket with an airstone. The sump is still in place.

This weekend, I will get a better look at what is going on underneath the PVC liner, and if some or all of the wood needs to be replaced.

I have had AGA (nee Aqueon) stands in the past, and the bottom piece has always been problematic with the demands for reefing.

Matt:cool:

Back