Proper lighting for a 40 gl. Breeder

Mike Paul

reefaholic
Hi i was looking for some lights for my 40 gl. Breeder i currently have like 78wts. 2bulbs 1 10k and 1aktinic im looking at 4 bulbs 2 10ks and 2 aktinics with 3 bluemoon leds for a total of 156 wts is that enough watts for a wall to wall reef or should i look for more cause i know most medal halides put out like 250 watts but there alot more money

I paid 80 bucks for a Metel Halide with a bulb. I dont think a 250 is that expensive and I use that on my 44G corner and it works great

Proper lighting would likely depend on what kind of corals you would like to grow. Watts per gallon is not a good way to judge the lighting requirements you would need since different lighting fixtures put out more lumens per watt then others do.

So in the end once you know what kinds of corals you plan to keep (sps, lps, zoa, softies) you can get the lighting you need.

Proper lighting would likely depend on what kind of corals you would like to grow. Watts per gallon is not a good way to judge the lighting requirements you would need since different lighting fixtures put out more lumens per watt then others do.

So in the end once you know what kinds of corals you plan to keep (sps, lps, zoa, softies) you can get the lighting you need.

^^ +1

I use one 250w metal halide to light a 40 breeder. I also lighted it with one eBay al-cheapo 120w LED.
A 250w metal halide will cost you $10 per month to run and a 120w LED will cost you less than $5. But 250w halide can keep more corals than the al-cheapo LED plus corals grows faster.

I use one 250w metal halide to light a 40 breeder. I also lighted it with one eBay al-cheapo 120w LED.
A 250w metal halide will cost you $10 per month to run and a 120w LED will cost you less than $5. But 250w halide can keep more corals than the al-cheapo LED plus corals grows faster.

$10 per month?

When I got rid of my last tank, I had 320W and my electricity bill went down by almost $100/month.

your pump and heaters cost more electricity especially return pump. Pumps run 24/7, light just 10 hr per day.
250w x10hr=2.5kw per day, at $0.14/kw, that is $.35 per day, $10.5 per month.

Back