proper way to install a 250W DE metal halide bulb

CaptainHook

BRS Member
I'm having a hard time installing the bulbs. I broke the ceramic ends on 2 new bulbs already. I wonder if there's any tricks to installing the bulbs?
Not sure if it is relavent, I have a Giesemann Inifinit fixture. The bulbs I broke are ushio and XM.
BTW, are these bulbs still usable without the ceramic ends?
Thanks.

-Peter

I've good luck with putting both ends in the sockets at the same time and apply evenly pressure at both ends at the same time.
Make sure you wait til the fixtures and sockets are cool. You can also apply some liquid LN2 or use those dust blower can up-side-down to cool the sockets so that they expand a little bit.

That sucks that you broke a couple,been there and done that myself.
I use a small hook to open the socket up a little and start one side at a time in,then push evenly on both ends.
It can be a real nightmare sometimes.

If you have hard time pushing 250w bulbs into the socket, check the socket to make sure the spring clips inside is not damaged.

Okay, I manage to force the bulbs into the sockets. However, the ceramic on both bulbs looked like the broken one pictured below. Is it okay to use the bulbs with a damaged ceramic ends? Thanks.

As long as its just the ceramic tab and not the glass that's broken it's ok to use. The little tabs break off pretty easy, but it's also easy to break the glass so make sure the glass is sound.
Easiest way to change 250 watt bulbs is to switch to moguls. I dread the days I have to change my DE bulbs

Back