• Save your money!

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I don't really care....

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JCheung

Newbish
Hey just a quick poll for what should i do, I want to get the T5 HO Tek Lights 6 X 54 from Marine Solutions for $310+$20 shipping. Should i just take the costs upfront and get it now or should i wait until i get some corals and then get it? I'll also need to get some tank mounting brackets though.

If your sure on your plans for your system, get the lights first, give the current inhabitants time to acclimate, then add new corals down the road sometime.

Your better off getting your system/hardware worked out and stable first. If you get new corals first, you will be putting them through a transition/acclimation period, then when you get the new lights they will have to acclimate again.

Move slowly, "nothing good happens fast in a reef tank" :)

Oh another question would be is there any other place to get it cheaper, did a google search and they come up at $340, $360, $420...+ etc

38 views and only 5 votes?

I definitely agree with John get the light first (for all the reasons listed),

Also for T5s consider Aquactinics, they are right out of NewHaven Tom is a great guy to deal with and IMO & IME he builds a better looking more reliable light than the tek light.

Disclaimer:
I do business with Tom and I'm partial but I also am a no BS guy
and I also own a tek light that works when it feels like it so take that FWIW.

BTW I think your vote will not be very productive because only one answer means anything, "save your money" is a non vote because it's not really an option. If your going to have a reef you need light it's not like a gadget you could forgo and "save your money". Then there's the "I don't care" that's a throw away just inviting people to 'F' with you.

So... the only answer is GO FOR IT .....maybe that's the way you sub-consciously planned it ?:D

Last edited:
Getting the proper lighting should be first on the list. Without it, you're asking for disaster in one form or another.

It would probably be better if you have the lights on your tank before corals arrive so you do not have to adjust them to the change of light. I had to adjust my corals and that was a real pain in the butt, and some of my corals did not appreciate that but after the change I am a lot happier. (I went from pcs to 150 watt de mh and a 65 watt pc for atinic.)

Hope this helps
Stephen

HI Jeff,
Like everyone else said, It is very important to get your system set up and running lighting and filtration. Let everything stabilized then worry about the inhabitants. I think you have good ideas on your system but it seems like you should write some of this down and make a checklist that you cross off things as you get them. Thats what I did anyways. My tank was up and running for like 3 or 4 months with all the equip and lighting before I ever put some much as a hermit crab in there.
Good luck Jeff hope all goes well for you - Jenn

I definitely agree with John get the light first (for all the reasons listed),

Also for T5s consider Aquactinics, they are right out of NewHaven Tom is a great guy to deal with and IMO & IME he builds a better looking more reliable light than the tek light.

New Haven as in conneticut right? How much would he build a 6 bulb 48" T5 system for? and would it be a stand alone system or would i need a hood?

BTW I think your vote will not be very productive because only one answer means anything, "save your money" is a non vote because it's not really an option. If your going to have a reef you need light it's not like a gadget you could forgo and "save your money". Then there's the "I don't care" that's a throw away just inviting people to 'F' with you.

So... the only answer is GO FOR IT .....maybe that's the way you sub-consciously planned it ?:D

Yeah i kind of meant save your money buy it later but i submitted the thread before i thought to change it.

Jeff,

You shouldn't need a poll for this - if you are going to keep aquarium life that requires light, you need to have the lights in place....

Eric

I more along the line meant should i get it like right now today, or should i wait until say next month or the month after, the tank is only 1.5 - 2 months old. though i already do have some mushrooms and zoas. The mushrooms i didn't even know i had, the Zoas came on some nice rock.

So should i get the tek 6 bulb T-5 lamp or is there a better/cheaper T-5 Fixture? I have no hood, and i hear 90 gallon hoods are like $200.

I would get the aquatinics fixture personally, the tek reflectors aren't the greatest.

Ok where would ne the cheapest/best place to get those? searching online right now, but is there like a known vendor that sells em cheap? HOLY KR@P the solar flare is $800!!!!

Last edited:
Ok where would ne the cheapest/best place to get those? searching online right now, but is there like a known vendor that sells em cheap? HOLY KR@P the solar flare is $800!!!!

AG sells them. They used to sell direct but stopped doing that after the first of the year. I use Aquatinics on my frag tank and you will not be dissapointed with the quality and performance of it. You can get less expensive brands but for a few dollars more it is well worth it in my opinion.

Ok i think i'm just going to go with the TX5, its only $357 at DIYreef. Would it be cheaper at AG?

I doubt it-

dont forget bulbs btw.

check out aquatinics forum on RC...sometimes they have blemished units for 10-20% off...just ask whats available.

hmmmm now i can't decide if i should just go all out and get the solar flares. Or should i just go the cheaper route and get the TX5. Arg!!! Decisions.

Hey, look at it this way;
You'll live with this lighting system for many years (unless you buy the wrong set up). If your even remotely unsure then you should give it some more time. It sounds like you don't have anything that's suffering for lack of light, so why rush.

My best advice;
google, search RC and RDO and here and go through all the LFS's and e-tailers you can find until you find yourself reciting lighting data and prices in your sleep. Then and only then will you be able to make a decision that you won't be kicking yourself in the butt for in a yr or two. Also, FWIW, rumor hast it that sanjay will be doing some T5 testing this summer. If I were in your shoes I'd consider waiting to see those #'s.

The single biggest and probably most common reefing mistake is to buy major equipment before you have the total plan worked out.

IMO the best approach is to decide on stocking plans, then build the system around the livestock.

If I were you, the $ would be burning a hole in my pocket and I'd be super excited to get the reef in high gear, but time spent planning is worth 10X as much as money spent too soon.

Oh yea, I like www.hellolights.com for most lighting supplies..

I definitly have to do T5's as the lights would be about 8 inches from my apartments thermostat, so i just don't know if the overdriven setup is much better and if i would need that much lights. And also the $800 price tag is pretty darn nasty. The real big problem would be if i decided to move back to NY, which would mean i got a larger salary over there to be able to afford rent there, So i would be able to afford more tank and would have better space planning so i'm afraid of spending the money and then getting a 6' tank and having my $800 investment go down the drain. Or the opposite might happen being i can only find a smaller apartment and need to make a smaller tank and again the lights become a waste. Then again i could always sell the lights to someone that would use it to grow certain illegal plants to make back the money. The mind is racing about all the scenarios that may happen within 2 years.

Last edited:
Back