Question about frozen mysis shrimp

Doherty

Non-member
I purchased some frozen mysis made by hikari (? Spelling), I had defrosted one cube........ And there is a ton of frozen shrimp in thoes little cubes.

Was wondering if you guys think it would be ok to refrigerate the unused portion, and use it over a few days. I have a very low bioload (2 fish, and LPS)in my 20g that will be directly feeding.

Or do u think it would be better to just to cut the frozen cubes, and defrost them as I need them.

Thanks

I use my coral propagating snipers to half and even quarter them while frozen,Matt.I even do the same with Formula 2 and frozen cyclopeeze when I feed that occasionally.
Great little tool to have.

Thanks Bob,

I do have some...... Was just checking to see if this would be a frowned apon method. I can be lazy sometimes.

Thanks Bob,

I do have some...... Was just checking to see if this would be a frowned apon method. I can be lazy sometimes.

I asked this question a while back about keeping mysis in a container in the fridge.I guess they lose a lot of nutrients the more they soak in the water.

I have used defrosted food that has been kept refrigerated for a couple of days to feed with. I have not had any ill effects. HTH.

I guess they lose a lot of nutrients the more they soak in the water.

I had thought the same thing. Maybe if I just defrost the cube itself, and don't add tank water, I would just pull the individual shrimp and target feed that way.

I have used defrosted food that has been kept refrigerated for a couple of days to feed with. I have not had any ill effects. HTH.

Yeah, I think few days would be the max in the fridge would be ok, prob would not trust it after that.

I fill a small empty copapod bottle with spirulina, mysis, brine, rotifers and use 70% rodi/ 10-15% garlic guard. I usually restock the bottle every 2 weeks. works great.

food wise i use 70% mysis, 5% spirulina, 20% brine , 5% rotifers

Last edited:
I've used it defrosted over a couple of days before - but I've added a couple of drops of vitamins to the water. That way it's soaking them up :)

Matt there is another solution to your problem of not being able to use an entire cube. I can't believe nobody has mentioned it yet......

Get a bigger tank that way you can have more fish and then they can put away an entire cube of mysis and still have room to eat more:p

or you could get more acans and favias, a slightly cheaper alternitive

there is a mini-mysis that comes wrapped in a little cardboard box that has a little window in it, those are much smaller, i could easily feed one cube to two of my favias

I use Selcon and Vitachem.

Good to know....... thanks for getting back to me.

Matt there is another solution to your problem of not being able to use an entire cube. I can't believe nobody has mentioned it yet......

Get a bigger tank that way you can have more fish and then they can put away an entire cube of mysis and still have room to eat more:p

:)I'm working on her, believe me Barry:D

or you could get more acans and favias, a slightly cheaper alternitive

Great Idea!

You could buy the flat pack and break smaller pieces. I feed Cyclopeze regularly, I take the frozen unopened bar and smash it up with a hammer on the counter, then I can squeeze out small chunks to go in with a couple cubes to thaw.

Back