Ques. (Question of the Day?) If you could recommend something to a new reefer what would it be from your experience?

Cpage101

Current BRS Vice President
Officer
BRS Member
Mine would be do real research on your own don’t trust everything you read in the internet and don’t buy cheap equipment without asking around to others who have experience with said piece of equipment and it’s effectiveness and longevity

Lighting, don’t cheap out on lighting. I tried and went the Amazon Nicrew hyperreef route and I thought they were great. I was told otherwise so I had some xr30 gen4s sitting in the basement waiting for the 180 build and thought I might as well try those. Wow what a difference it’s like a night and day difference I’m so glad I switched them. On the flip side of this I feel there are definitely areas that you don’t have to get the top of the line equipment and can save a buck.

Lighting, don’t cheap out on lighting. I tried and went the Amazon Nicrew hyperreef route and I thought they were great. I was told otherwise so I had some xr30 gen4s sitting in the basement waiting for the 180 build and thought I might as well try those. Wow what a difference it’s like a night and day difference I’m so glad I switched them. On the flip side of this I feel there are definitely areas that you don’t have to get the top of the line equipment and can save a buck.
100% agree and note there is a lot of stuff out there we know is just rebranded

The basic recommendation I have for long-term success is to plan out the system and buy the proper equipment for that system.

I can not advise more to purchase a web-connected controller and test system. Ive done the old-school methods of dosing by hand or using timer outlets and basic dosers...its not reliable and will falter over time. Once its set...do the work to protect your investment. In my experience, there is no replacement for patience and hard work. If you get into the hobby with a mindset of "set it and forget it" then this isn't for you. Dont rush progress, there is no replacement for consistency and dedication. If you do the work you will be rewarded. "WORK", in my opinion/experience, is testing, cleaning, and water changes. If you've invested all this money in to this hobby why would you not invest your time to make it successful and thrive?

Observe the tank! It’s fun, and you’ll notice little dramas that make it richer. Hermit crabs fighting, new sponge under that rock, frag knocked over, some weird creature, etc. Plus, you’ll have a good baseline for when something goes south, and you’ll know right away to look deeper. Why is that coral closed? Just sleeping/sloughing? Stung? Sick? Parameter issue? ATO has run dry? Along with that, it’s better to have the tank in a high traffic area (for me at least). Tank in the basement got neglected; tank in the kitchen gets watched obsessively (by me, and now my kids).

Great advice already.

I’ll add; “Don’t try to learn by looking at and studying products and additives. MOST of what’s on the shelves is overpriced, unnecessary, and (if useful at all) DIY alternatives are dramatically less expensive and often better (because you know what you’re actually adding).

Much of this (retail) hobby is a scam. Educate yourself, or help Chris Brightwell but another yacht. Your choice. :)

Patience is a virtue, you can’t rush perfection. Lay back and enjoy the ride.. I’d also recommend explaining all this fancy equipment is not 100% necessary. I’d also recommend against chasing numbers.

I think it’s a misconception and can be intimidating for someone entering the hobby. I’ve talked to friends without tanks who are under the impression you need to be Albert Einstein to have a successful reef tank. Lastly never stop learning, always be open to new information.

get a second job. you're gunna need a lot of extra cash
This is only because we all started small and caught the bug! It doesn't have to be. Yes it is expensive in some sense to get started but if you KISS (Keep it Simple stupid) you can still have a really nice setup utilizing used and new equipment IMHO:)

Back