Ques. (Question of the Day) What’s your holy grail coral

Cpage101

Current BRS Vice President
Officer
BRS Member
Tell us, what is your holy grail coral? Not necessarily most expensive, or hard to keep, or find, but that one (or two) corals you must have.

When I first started a yellow Fiji leather was high on my list. I did get one from tidal gardens eventually and it’s about 4” across today. Next was a koji wada pink nepthea. I had a tiny little frag that never died but never grew either for over a year. I bit the bullet and bought a larger piece from a member here and it’s doing well. Pink Floyd acro was on the list and is doing fair. Twisted Sister acro was the victim of an alk spike. Once I get that tank fully stabalized again I want to find a Black Sabbath acro.

I’ve only been at this a few years so I don’t know what the must have corals of the past were. Anyone else?

I’ve been thinking about this question all day and still haven’t come up with an answer. I think my holy grail would be thriving sps in the tank, regardless what they are (almost). Bonsai, slimer, acros of various kinds etc.

I had picked up a wild colony of acropora speciosa over a decade ago that I lost to a tank crash and hadn’t seen any available for a long while. Have been looking ever since, and finally got a piece this year as they’ve trickled back into the hobby here and there. It’s a small frag and hopefully it grows but will take quite a while to be anything like the colony I had previously:
IMG_9516.jpeg

Other than that, maybe another “lemon drop” yellow BTA (survived the crash but withered away afterwards):
IMG_4364.jpeg

Yea they came in about 12-14 years ago under lemon drop and have been renamed because they have phases and can color shift red to yellow as mature

So my holy grail coral is the Holy Grail micromussa. I'm an Acan guy. Love them! I had a very nice piece prior to a tank crash.

Yea they came in about 12-14 years ago under lemon drop and have been renamed because they have phases and can color shift red to yellow as mature
If I recall there was a trickle of stuff from Vietnam (or so I was told) and these were coming in here and there. I had two at one point. Other neat coral I had from them was a true orange frogspawn - was bright orange in daylight. Never saw one like that again either, but maybe they’re floating about somewhere.

One of mine would be an Amazeballs goni. However I cannot seem to keep them alive. Some SPS would be a nice SCOP, ( I just purchased a good sized frag) maybe a Vivid insanity. There is also a few different grafted SPS that are ridiculous. There are also about 5 nice smooth skin acros on my list!

Grafted pieces.

Attachments

• IMG_2487.jpeg
    IMG_2487.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2488.png
    IMG_2488.png
    641.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2489.jpeg
    IMG_2489.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 16
So, is that really it? The common denominator here is, "I loved that coral like a son and then it croaked".

Are we all doomed to suffer a tank crash?

Is it as inevitable as death or taxes?

Sigh, I need a hug.

One of mine would be an Amazeballs goni. However I cannot seem to keep them alive. Some SPS would be a nice SCOP, ( I just purchased a good sized frag) maybe a Vivid insanity. There is also a few different grafted SPS that are ridiculous. There are also about 5 nice smooth skin acros on my list!

Grafted pieces.
Is the first pic the Nerds acro?

Back