Questions on Carbon, Mag and Calc Supps

Andy V

Non-member
I have a 28g nano cube with a bubble coral, xenia, zoas, mushroom, maxima clam, Kenya tree, pipe organ and yellow leather. All pieces are smaller and I have had them in the tank for a few weeks now and everything is going great so far, and growth is noticeable and coralline is forming. I want things to stay this way.

My first questions is, should I be using Carbon? (I am)

Second, should I test for Mag?

Third, what three part, or two part Calc supplement is the best combination of quality/value out there? And, what else will I need to supp on top of this?

Currently I am using one part calc, iodine, strontium and moly, and trace elements. I read that two or three part calc was much better, so I need to know what everyone thinks. Thanks.

I would say yes,continue to use the carbon.Many of the corals you have in your tank are know for letting off some pretty nasty stuff.The carbon will help to pull this from your tank water.I've read where it my inhibit your xenia growth.But hey,that might be a good thing.:rolleyes:
Mag is an important part of the water chemistry.Some salt mixes are low in mag. right out of the box.But I would say that if you keep up with water changes it's not a big deal at this point with a nano.Magnesium is used up much slower than calcium and alk. anyways.If you make it to the next meeting they could check that for you.
I've never used a 1 part suppliment.The two or three part is basically alk and calcium balance with a dose of Mg. being the third part.Mg. is only dosed after a certain amount of the first two are used.
FWIW,I use ESV B-Ionic 2 part and it works for me.I would definitely look into doing something like that.
Hope I helped a little.:)

Alkalinity is much more importank to monitor than calcium. When you talk about 2 part or 3 part dosing you are actually referring to supplimenting calcium and alkalinity or calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity. The cheapest alkalinity suppliment is baking soda.

I would read this
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/chem.htm

Also do a search on Dowflake, which is what many people including myself used for calcium additive. Recently however they have changed there manufacturing process and lo longer remove excess bromide.

Thanks guys. I will keep this in mind. By the way, how much baking soda would you add to a 28g tank to bring alk up 1 dkh?

I would agree that alkalinity especially in your tank with what you have in it would be much more important to watch. The clam will like his calcium but that would be about it in your case. See the following link to determine how much to add.....just choose your poison!

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html

You can eventually determine how much your tank is using and this will cut back on the testing, at least until you add something else that uses an added amount of either.

Back