Ready to Throw in the Towel

Everything that can possibly go wrong has gone wrong in my tank. A few years back all my coral got wiped out by AEFW. So I ran my tank empty of all coral for a year. Little by little I built it back up....then dinos resulted in another wipe out. Been fighting dinos for another year. Finally dinos gone. Then recently a huge bubble algae outbreak covering everything. So I got some emerald crabs that were quite large. They are the only thing I have added when I noticed that all fish have split fins and some ulcerated tissue on their bodies. So now bubble algae is gone but all the fish seem to be going downhill. I had to euthanize my Goldflake angel last night. Now my 14 year old tang, and a few other fish appear to have contracted parasitic infection. They are actually seeking out the emerald crabs to get cleaned!!!!! I am thinking of getting a few cleaner shrimp. But seriously, I am really thinking of getting out of the hobby. I have spent so much time (and money) over the last few years with such little progress that I am at wits end. Thanks for listening to my whining!:(

Sorry to hear this Chuck! I got corals a year and a half ago from you and your sps you had downstairs looked great. Hope the fish pull threw and end up ok!

Oh man that does sound like a tough cycle of issues. Sorry to hear the fish are getting affected now. I hope they get better.

That is a bummer! There is nothing that can be said to help ease the pain either.

Maybe consider downsizing a little to make things more managable and cost effective.

It is a passion and hard to just walk away.

Good Luck!

Chuck...we won't let you throw in the towel...I am sure that it has not gotten too far off....Nothing a few water changes can't help... ;)

quitters never win and winners never quit !!!! But sorry to hear you are having a tough time . Best of luck to you

Hang in there Chuck. Maybe your army of mithrax crabs are actually doing the damage to the fish?

Like B said, do a few hundred gallon water change and go from there :)

Maybe just go hang out with some other reefers and get the reef blood flowing. Sometimes it is more about attitude than anything else. Almost like how you feel is how you tank looks and reacts.

Back