About ready to throw my Euro reef against a wall!

MikeG

Non-member
I mesh modded 2 impellers last year for my Euroreef 12-1. About 6 months ago the skimmer started randomly overflowing. I have tried everything to get it to stop, including cleaning the pumps and venturis (which I had thought was the cause as the venturis were quite bocked with deposits) It continues to do this even after I just replaced the mesh this week on both impellers. I would like to try to go back to the origional set up and see if I have issues.

The skimmer is in a 100 gallon rubbermaid sump in about 7" of water. The water reaches the top of the elbows where the pumps go into the skimmer body. There is a float valve so there is a constant water level in the sump. Any other ideas?

I went back to the needlewheel. I did a mesh mod to my Euro-Reef and couldn't get it to stop overflowing either. It was such a PITA that I just put it all back the way it was and now it's skimming normally again.

I did like the finer bubbles with the hesh though.

Could you try restricting the air inlet a bit? Seems backwards, but it might help?

IMHO, the mesh mod can actually overwhelm some of the skimmers. I have two euro-reefs and an ASM- G4. All are mesh modded. Try raising the skimmer. The pump outlet on my ASM (where it actually enters the skimmer body) is an inch out of the water. Skims like a champ. :D

BTW. Did you do the gate valve mod?? that helps, too.

Try putting a little vaseline around the inside of the neck at the top. I also installed a float switch in mine (ASM G-4x) so it doesnt overflow back into the tank.

I had a euro reef on my last system, it was not mesh mod, but it skimmed strong and I loved it. The only time that skimmer over flowed was when I added some additives or used coral glue, sometimes when I had my hands in the tank. Dont know if that will help you maybe find a tigger on the over flows?

Try putting a little vaseline around the inside of the neck at the top. I also installed a float switch in mine (ASM G-4x) so it doesnt overflow back into the tank.

OK... this is intriguing... What does the vaseline do? and please explain this float switch mod... :confused:

Thanks

Mike, Mine was doing the same. I raised the eggcrate platform it was on, and removed the inner riser tube and now it is skimming thicker again.

I noticed that it was running fine, until you change the surface tension of the water. This happens when you feed oily foods, or sometimes if you have your hand in the system etc. All of a sudden, whamo.. it starts to skim real watery and can overflow.

Again, I raised my skimmer out of the water by another couple of inches (pretty much to the top of the sedra) and removed the inside riser, and have been okay since.

Dave

I will try raising it to see if that helps, unfortunately that means moving the sump out from under the tank as the skimmer is already up right up to the stand.

As far as food or additives, that always collapses the bubble column not make it overflow. Obviously I would rather get this to work as is than spend $60-70 dollars for new impellers.

I do have the gate valve mod on this as well.

you could try reducing the size of the meshwheel.
ie trim it back some.

I have thought of that to see if it was catching somewhere. I just realized after some questions and looking back at a picture that the exit of the gate valve is submerged and backpressure may be the issue. I have to check when I get home today.

I have thought of that to see if it was catching somewhere. I just realized after some questions and looking back at a picture that the exit of the gate valve is submerged and backpressure may be the issue. I have to check when I get home today.

its not so much a case of if it catching.
The larger the threadwheel,the more water/air you will pull.
Try removing the impeller and give it a little hair cut,just keep trimming it back little by little until you get to a managable level.
Make sure you trim the wheel as evenly on all sides as possible to prevent an imbalance.

I purchased a ASM-G4 which I initially decided to mod after reading all the threads, after installing it a year and half ago to test it without mods the entire chamber is always filled with bubbles, works like a champ!! Glad I didn't mess with it.

Jim

>Trying turning off one of your pumps entirely... save some electrical money <

I turned 1 of the 3 pumps on my skimmer off after doing the mod.

What did you do to stop the bubbles from coming out of the pump that is turned off?
That would be my question as well. If I turn one off the water just pours through that pump and you can't control the water height.

Seems like it might be an issue of how the gate mod was put together. I had the T with the vent pipe going up, off the T was the gate valve and then a 90 going back down into the water.
8869100_2684.JPG

Air could basically get trapped between the gate valve and the exit. I rearranged it so the gate valve goes vertically next to the skimmer body with a 90 at the top. This then goes to the T where the vent goes up and the exit goes into the water. Any air goes up at the end and no chance for any back pressure. Hopefully this will do the trick. Time will tell.

Back