Red worms?

Jellis912

BRS Member
Hi, I bought this candy cane coral the other day and noticed it has these small red things on it. I don’t know if it’s worms or just part of the coral but was wondering if someone had any clue. Sorry about the picture, it was the best I could take.

0DE281D8-F5D9-4A30-B9C1-3FFD730CDEBD.jpeg

Looks like red wire macro algae. I’m sure there are tons of species but mine grows slowly and hasn’t taken over in years, but will spread sporadically. Lucky it’s slow because very tough and nothing seems to eat it much.

Is there a way to remove it or should I just leave it alone? Thank you for the quick reply

Personally I like stuff like this, natural reefs are full of algae and worms and a million things we don’t yet know about. But a few min dip (just the stalk — not sure how corals like it) in H2O2 and some scrubbing will take care of it if you’re concerned.

I agree with thrillreefer it seems to be a type of macro algae, I also had something very similar growing in my last tank. It was a slow grower but would eventually form small clumps that I could pull off the rocks pretty easily

Back