Reef Tank Check List

redtigrinus

Non-member
Hey,

I'm new to the reef hobby and I'm looking to setup my first reef tank. So I was wondering if any of you out there could help figure out what I need to set one up. Suggestions and preferences on equipment are welcome and appreciated. I was thinking about setting up a 75 gallon or a 60 gallon cube. The only thing I'm pretty sure about is that I want to go with the LED Radion for lighting. Everything else I have now clue. I'm not very handy so I probably wont be building anything myself. I really like lps corals but I want to build a tank that can house all types of corals and invertebrates.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

1. Tank 2.lighting 3. Sump/fuge 4.powerheads (vortechs since u are going with radions imo?) 5. Return pump. 6. Not nesesarry but beneficial, a brs reactor for gfo and carbon to keep water clean and clear. 7. Bucket of salt. 8. REverse osmosis unit. 9. Rubbermaid barrel (to mix rodi water and salt) thats the basic that comes to my head as of right now.

O and #10. Refractometer.............#11. Test kits. :)

THEN FOR LIVE STOCK IS UP TO U (REEF SAFE FISH IF UR PLANNING TO HAVE CORALS)......U WILL NEED LIVE ROCK AND IDK IF U WANT TO DO A SAND BED OR JUST HAVE A BAREBOTTOM. BUT IF SAND IS UR CHOICE, I WOULD GO WITH THE REEF GRADE SAND TO PREVENT SANDSTORMS IN UR TANK.

Last edited:
#12. Skimmer
#13. Heater
#14. Auto Top-off
#15. Timer / Power strip / Controller
#16. Dipping solutions (when you start adding corals)
#17. QT or hospital tank & equipments (when you start adding fish)

Thanks. I do want fish. I definitely want a purple tang and maybe a hippo tang for big fish. Im sure Ill want to add some smaller fish like cardinals or clowns, gobies, etc. I do plan to use sand I'm thinking Arag Alive Aragonite Fine Reef Sand. Whats the difference between a sump and a fuge? I kinda wanna go with the fuge to grow algae for my tangs but I dont know yet.

QT for sure. How do you quarantine corals and is it necessary? I have experience with marine fish but not coral. Just out of curiosity what are you using to medicate your fish in quarantine if anything? I have heard copper is widely used but I don't have any experience treating SW fish with copper.

I'm pretty sure any copper treatment will kill all inverts in a reef tank, and the copper embeds in your rock/silicon/everything to keep your tank poisonous virtually forever.

People do iodine dips? I use bayer pest control dip to kill nasty bugs off before coral goes into my tank. Fish are a different beast altogether, I think some people just quarantine them and see if anything develops. If ich or something, hyposalinity or something but never copper.

Thanks. I do want fish. I definitely want a purple tang and maybe a hippo tang for big fish. Im sure Ill want to add some smaller fish like cardinals or clowns, gobies, etc. I do plan to use sand I'm thinking Arag Alive Aragonite Fine Reef Sand. Whats the difference between a sump and a fuge? I kinda wanna go with the fuge to grow algae for my tangs but I dont know yet.

a 60 cube is much too small for a 2 tang tank, and a 75 gallon is also pushing it. The tang police will also weigh in, I am sure.

EDIT: also note purple tangs are VERY aggressive, and it will be made worse by crowding or a small tank. My 2c.

Last edited:
#12. Skimmer
#13. Heater
#14. Auto top-off
#15. Timer / power strip / controller
#16. Dipping solutions (when you start adding corals)
#17. Qt or hospital tank & equipments (when you start adding fish)

thanks reefwizard...idk how i forgot the most important thing...the skimmer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Haha yea and the heater.im at work so im doing computer work and being on bostonreefers at the same time...and i would def setup a qt tank...smallest size i would go is a 20 long with proper filtration (hob skimmer or filter either or)

a 60 cube is much too small for a 2 tang tank, and a 75 gallon is also pushing it. The tang police will also weigh in, i am sure.

Edit: Also note purple tangs are very aggressive, and it will be made worse by crowding or a small tank. My 2c.

yea purple tangs are aggresive...i have 3 of them in my 250 and it was like world war 3 for the first week...now they are fine.....btw if u really want a purple tang....the smallest id go is a 90g (same footprint as a 75g) but best in a 125 since its a 6 foot tank.........

I wouldnt do 2 in the 60 and the hippo is not a definite just a thought. The purple is what I really want. And I am aware that the purples can be aggressive which is why Im on the fence about the hippo. I could do a 90. That would help with the space issue a bit.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure any copper treatment will kill all inverts in a reef tank, and the copper embeds in your rock/silicon/everything to keep your tank poisonous virtually forever.

People do iodine dips? I use bayer pest control dip to kill nasty bugs off before coral goes into my tank. Fish are a different beast altogether, I think some people just quarantine them and see if anything develops. If ich or something, hyposalinity or something but never copper.

Ok. I know copper is a no no for inverts and coral. Just heard it being used with fish before and wasnt sure. I actually would prefer not to use it. Thanks for the input.

Yea 90 would be ur best bet..........even a 120 is the same foot print just a but taller

The 120 is actually what I really want but it would really be pushing my budget unless I could find a used one that is reef ready. I like the fact that the 120 is 24" wide. As far as a skimmer goes I'm not sure yet what I want to use but Im leaning toward the Reef Octopus Extreme In Sump Protein Skimmer, it was recommend to me. But Im open to suggestions.

u can find really good deals on a 120.....u should post a thread wtb 120 and u might be lucky............120 has beautiful dimensions..............

If you use glass tops on a reef will it hinder the lights? I only ask because I have to cover this tank do to having a small child.

will if u do a 120 u can have it with a canopy and only have it open from the very top....tank would be over 6ft tall i suppose with a canopy. i really dont like to put glass tops on tanks.1 because it reduces the amount of oxygen go into the water. 2 becuase it warms up ur tank too much. 3 emmits less light into ur tank. jmo

Back