Reef tank move~>

CrypticLifeStyle

Non-member
Just did my 38th move in 35 years. Every move i also move my tanks which is a project in itself, i'm ok with that. This was my first time moving my deep blue edge 60g cube, and it taught me a few things to consider for the next time which may possibly happen again in 3 months. This was the biggest, and most packed reef tank i've moved of my own so far, and while the tear down of equipment was easy, the live stock was most definitely more challenging then my Marineland 27g cube. I also chose to re-use my sand, and not wash it against all advice, which honestly worked out well. I put weighted down saran wrap on the sand after draining the water down to the sand line to limit any splashing effect.

Instead of tearing down, and resetting up in one day, i'd make a attempt to setup a temporary holding tank(s) in advance that can accommodate the corals opposed to individually packing them, and keeping them in 5g buckets during the process. The sps this time around did not like the time spent in the buckets which was a total of 12 hours. Far longer then i planed on, but sh*t happens.

I'd run a protein skimmer in the tank before putting the corals back in at least for a couple days solely for the purpose of helping deal with the sand waste materials, and then do the big water change. 3 days in a row i had to empty out the skimmer cup, typical schedule was once every 1 1/2 weeks. I think a lot of this was due to the sand. The sand was locally collected outside my house in Humarock 2 years ago. I suppose i keep it for sentimental reasons, which is why i chose not to go the other routes with it.

A more structured system to tear down, and re-stack the rock work which was the biggest time killer, and most frustrating part of it all. It made me question my sanity a few times during this process.

You can never have too many HD 5g buckets!

Wow! 39 moves in 35 years! I'm moving my first reef tank and I am losing my mind over it. I feel overwhelmed about forgetting something or not having enough buckets. I guess i just need to formulate a plan and get into it. I'm glad the most recent move went well for you.

I had a 27g cube setup prior to this tank i moved twice within a year, kept the sand in the tank then as well. Went without a hitch. The real time killer is the rock work. I thought i had it all memorized, and kept it separate from the sump rock. My recommendation is really pay attention to how you had the rock work. I have a lot of rock, not sure what it is in your case, but if you have a lot, take some pictures, and separate the rock into buckets by how you would rebuilding it bottom to top so your not fishing around for pieces.

I'd also suggest having a redbull before setting up the tank again, and as fast as possible, but as safe as possible arrange the rocks in the tank before putting the water back in the tank as everything will be cloudy after that water goes back in, and makes it extremely difficult to see. Then fill her up asap. Due to the cloudiness i also find it difficult to place the corals back to where they were, or where i may want them in a new spot that are not encrusted onto rocks ( mostly a concern for sps, and lps ). So having a little frag rack or empty area in the tank to just temporarily hold them for the night as the water clears is something to consider too.

It's also a great time to get some equipment cleaning done as well as your setting back up again, and having new water on hand. I did a 1/3-1/2 water change during refill. I'd do a water change a week later as well before going back to your regular schedule. This has worked for me the past 3 moves, good luck!

I am getting ready to move all my fish and coral back upstairs to a whole new aquascape and wish I could keep the sand but disturbing it to me doesn't seem worth it and far too time consuming the move will happen in about 1.5-2 months depending on how long it takes to seed the new rock I will use along with some of my existing rock

It is a good idea to recap in a thread. I think everyone has a better way, a don't do this or just things you didn't think of list after they make a move. it would be cool to have a compilation of everyone ideas.

Small tank are not too bad. Big ones you really need to setup an interm tank there is just too much that can go wrong. I use a 100-150g stock tank for that. With a decent amount of flow and a skimmer it is a reasonably stable environment till you can get thing ready. Then if all goes wrong you are not caught in a tight spot. Even if I plan on a day move I still have this in the wokrs as a backup plan. Plus premixed water.

As far as using smaller container, well any container for that matter, an air stone will go a very long way in extending your livestocks comfort level. It is the same reason I use air stone when treat incoming corals over small powerheads.

I have moved sand in small tanks like stated previously just leaving it in the tank. But they were small tanks. As far as large tank, I have moved sand beds and in the grand scheme of things it is easier to just add new sand seed and give the old sand to another reefer to clean and reuse.

Back