replacing heaters

dcforester1

Finally enjoying my tank
I have 2 titanium heaters on my 120 that are controlled with my Apex. These heaters are about 4-5yrs old and work fine, but I am sure my controller has something to do with that. I was wondering if they should be replace every couple years due to metals leaking out of them? I am taking this tank down, but might be putting up another tank so it will be the time to do it. I was just curious how old others heater are and do they worry about it?

Derek

Good question heaters usually die before that. My concern would be the seals drying out when you take them out of service/water. But you can always throw them in a bucket before when you set a new tank for a week or so then turn them on and see if they leak any stray voltage

What brand are they? not as it will help just curious as they lasted the test of time

My advice is to get those heaters out of your tank asap. I had one of the same heaters on my tank which I believe (have no concrete evidence or data) to be the cause of significant SPS loss. I checked and changed a number of things over the course of 6 months as I was seeing my SPS decline. One day I pulled this heater and saw some slight discoloration at the bottom of the tube. I thought, hmmm, this is supposed to be titanium and titanium doesn't rust. Pulled the heater and within 3 days I saw polyp extension and within 1.5 weeks I was seeing new growth. Unfortunately this was after I had lost about 75% of my SPS.

Just to be on the safe side, I also pulled 2 10yr old Won Brothers heaters (all heaters are on a controller) and replaced with Aqueons.

Everything has a lifespan, but heaters in general have about the worst track record out of all the equipment we use, and are probably the most prone to nuking tanks when they do fail.

Light fixtures usually just die and that is obvious, then you replace bulb(s) and or ballast(s) and they are good to go again.

This is a very good question and I plan on replacing both my heaters the next time I have a sump clean. for the $50, its not worth risking a tank getting nuked!

Exactly and let me clarify some equipment just needs parts or maintenance so things simply for price point should be replaced like heaters . Pumps die , power heads konk out plumbing clogs magnets become exposed to water etc not saying replace everything didn't think I needed to state that before but........

I am ready to buy new heaters, does anyone have the one that do not have thermostats? I was thinking of buying them as they just connect to my controller? I have 2 temp probes that I run off my controller, and 2 small heaters so neither can heat up to kill a tank. I will def being getting titanium, I just don't trust the glass ones, and they seem to big.

Derek

Back