retro fit lighting?

Firedancer718

no special title
I have a 12 gallon eclipse system that I want to house zoas and other relatively low light corals. In it I have 3 small fish, hermits, snails and a fire shrimp. I just put some zoas & mushrooms in and they are opening up fine, but I think I need more light. It's the standard pc light that came with the system.
I've got the top open, and put a second small pc light over the opening to add some light. Seems to be working, but it's obviously not a permanent solution.

I've been looking for a retrofit kit, and I'm not sure exactly which one I need as far as how it will fit, how many watts, and how to shield the bulbs once it's installed. (most kits don't come with plastic or glass covering between the bulbs/water)

Has anyone ever had an eclipse 12 that they've upgraded? If so, what lighting did you use, and what would you recommend?

Can anyone point me in the better direction? :eek:

I've thought about swapping out the whole tank for the new nanocube w/ the MH lights, but..I'd like to get as much use of this as I can.

Thank you!

Last edited:
If you take out the stock filter and add a power head or 2, you could throw in a 32w retro under the stock hood. I have seen a few eclipse tanks with leathers, zoos, star polyps, and other softies under a 32w 50/50.

How about toss the top and put a 150w Metal halide on top?

Are you seriuos? 150w on a 12gal? You'll have to put the tank in the fridge.
How about building your own canopy and put a 70w MH.

here is mine, the lgiht is a 150w Coralife DE pendant.

Last edited:
Wow, thats pretty crazy. It doesnt seem like it has much water in it either. How do you deal with the heat? I can see that the lighting is hanging high above the tank but still

i just broke down my 7 gallon and i had 2x 32 watt retros in it and i had good growth in it. but i would probably go with a 70 watt hqi if i where to do it again

70w HQI is a great choice for nano. There are several one on eBay.

I had a 150w HQI halide over a 12 gallon nanocube( actually 8 gallons of water after because of all the rock) for almost a year . The temp only rose about 2-3 degrees above ambient, and the light was 6" above the water. I admit it is a little crazy, but the coral growth was Awesome! Especially with the SPS!

Back