ritteri anemone deflated at night

brian91

Non-member
Bought new ritteri nem was open all day came home now that lights are off it’s deflated and mouth seems opened hasn’t moved from location

Well. you have to be able to differentiate between shriveled up, deflated, and balling up.
Balling up on Ritteri and BTA is not a concern. This is their natural behavior.
However, the term deflated or shriveled up and especially used in conjunction with mouth opened does sound like an anemone in distressed. I wouldn't be that much concerned if it's a BTA. But a deflated Ritteri with gaping mouth is something you should keep a close eye on.
Ritteri, in general, are harder to get acclimated and is a poor shipper. Good luck.

Last edited:
E4BFCBF2-A74F-4F1D-8FAD-B52533CEFC2C.jpeg

Move it up higher closer to the light when I got home from work and more flow what do you guys think

Any chance it had to poop? Our BTAs all get smaller (but not nicely balled up) and the mouth/butt looks more inflated when they have to poop. Then, after a brownish stringyness is expelled, they come back happy and inflated as ever.

My fav BTA has yellow tentacles and a red foot, so when he balls up and just has tentacle tips hanging out he looks like McD french fries in the red container. This is unrelated, I just think it is really cool how dramatically they can change their volume.

Back