RODI Questions

buffalobill

Non-member
This is what it looks like underneath my sink. Not sure where to pierce with my saddle valve. Hopefully Max you see this picture and respond or if anyone else could chime in. Thanks Kevin.
P.S. First picture able to download hopefully it works.

Last edited:
You want to pierce right below the cold water valve (probably the one on the right).

Or, if you don't want to pierce, I think there must be an easy way to adapt a threaded tee between the valve and the flexible supply line.

Hey Nate.. why wouldn't you go above the shut off valve? That way you can shut the water off in case of emergency?...

Unless that Is flexible line... I thought it looked like copper

I would put a "T" in. Saddle valves can and do leak over time. Putting one before the valve is not the best idea.

The saddles are not designed to work in the flex hose. Placing the saddle in the flex hose will just expedite that emergency shut off your referring to ;)

Nah. That's flex hose with metal mesh sheathing. You can tell because there's a swage fitting near the nut at the end. If it were copper with a ferrule nut at the end it would just be smooth tubing right up to the nut.

Your best bet is to skip the saddle valve and get a real fitting with a John guest fitting. Add an additional shutoff valve to control the John guest valve.
But I would make it so you can take that john guest valve offline without shutting off the faucet water.
Probably a Tee then a shut off valve then the john guest fitting

Purchase a 3/8 to 3/8 compression union and short length 4" or so of 3/8 OD copper tubing, turn off valve and remove braided cold water line, install the 3/8 copper onto the valve using one of the nuts and ferrules from your new union, install the new union on the 3/8 tube using the end with the nut and ferrule still attached, install the braided cold water line the other end on the union. Install the saddle fitting onto the short length of 3/8ths tube, for most valves and fittings the nuts and ferrules are interchangeable so this should work most of the time.

Jim

rodi responses

That's flex hose with metal mesh sheathing

Thanks for all responding. I believe it's a flex hose with metal mesh. I think the T valve would be my best bet. One more question I have three different filters wondering which ones go in first second third chambers. The filters are labeled 1 Micron, 20 micron and then one called the workhorse (32-250-125-975). Sorry again for dumb question but had to ask....

Back