Salifert KH/Alk Test

wrassefan

Intentionally Left Blank
BRS Member
Been having issues with PH...so I thought...ended up being the probe:rolleyes:

Tried testing alk with my Salifert test...can't recall if I'm doing it right. Ended up using a ml of the KH solution before it changed to pink....the way the formula reads on the instructions, it says 1-(the amount of solution you just used to change color)x16 for dkh or x5.71 for meq/l....:: This is when I got lost and still not sure. Can someone help me understand what I'm reading wrong? TIA

unless they changed, it's a pretty simple set up.

My kit (which i no longer use mind you) was 2ML water sample, one drop oh the "KH IND" (blue dye) and then just add drops to the sample one by one until the color changes... then look at the reagent syringe and fine the number and compare it to the chart...

why are you trying to do math equations with it.. did you lose the chart?>

unless they changed, it's a pretty simple set up.

My kit (which i no longer use mind you) was 2ML water sample, one drop oh the "KH IND" (blue dye) and then just add drops to the sample one by one until the color changes... then look at the reagent syringe and fine the number and compare it to the chart...

why are you trying to do math equations with it.. did you lose the chart?>

Joel, what I posted was in the instructions:eek: ...so you're saying use the 1/2 amount test instructions and whatever the amount I drop into the solution is against the chart?:confused:

It's 4 ml of water and 2 drops of the blue KH solution. If you used the full syringe (1ml) then yes your alkalinity would be 5.71 meq/L or 16 dKH. You might want to test again and if that is a new test kit check it with the reference standard. I used to swear by Salifert but with all the problems they have had I use Elos now.....so much easier too!

thanks...that was what I was trying to confirm...1-1=0...then skip the multiplication...look over the chart and see 0 refers to 16dkh:eek:...I might not have a good Salifert kit either. Thanks..

It's 4 ml of water and 2 drops of the blue KH solution. If you used the full syringe (1ml) then yes your alkalinity would be 5.71 meq/L or 16 dKH. You might want to test again and if that is a new test kit check it with the reference standard. I used to swear by Salifert but with all the problems they have had I use Elos now.....so much easier too!

just retested with a new API kit...13dkh:confused:...should I believe it? At this point since the ph is 8.23, I'm leaning towards the API results and will prob chuck the Salifert kit (it might be the old batch with the bad results). Thanks for all the help!

thanks...that was what I was trying to confirm...1-1=0...then skip the multiplication...look over the chart and see 0 refers to 16dkh:eek:...I might not have a good Salifert kit either. Thanks..

Andy..those salifert test kits are all garbage....They are no longer reliable since he changed the formula...

At first they claimed it was only a certain batch & posted lot numbers...but afterwards it became evident that there were many more batches with inaccurate readings.....

Elos is what I switched to...

Andy..those salifert test kits are all garbage....They are no longer reliable since he changed the formula...

At first they claimed it was only a certain batch & posted lot numbers...but afterwards it became evident that there were many more batches with inaccurate readings.....

Elos is what I switched to...

thanks for the reply Brian....seems like alot of folks have gone to Elos...tho the APIs have been a great bang for the buck from what I've read

Back