Saltwater Tank beginner

MrCote

Non-member
I just got a saltwater tank going a couple weeks ago. Its a 55 gallon and I got a little bit of live rock and a damsel in it right now. I just joined boston reefers and Im new to the saltwater hobby so any tips of advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Tom

Welcome to the club!

there's plenty of people here will to share the past experiences lots of knowledgeable people willing to help a newbie like myself. Theres a lot to be learned. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Tell us more about your goals. Main advice its TAKE IT SLOW. Nothing good happens fast in SW tanks.

:w
Welcome to the BRS!

How is you tank's cycle coming along? Would you tell us a bit more about your set-up and what you are hoping to keep?

Right now I have a canister filter set up in my tank, and a protein skimmer for the future when i need it. I got a few powerheads and a good in line heater. Im gonna buy another canister filter (another fluval 305 most likely). I have a T5 HO lighting system with 2 12,000 k's, 2 Actinic lights and 4 moonlight LED's. I have 50 lbs of live sand and 13 pounds of live rock (which I found out is extremely expensive and comes with things such as aiptasia). I got 2 damsels and one died. Ally my levels for PH and such on my tank are good except my ammonia and nitrites are a little high but the live rock is taking that right down. My salinity level is at 1.022

My future plan is to have 70 lbs of live rock and make lots of bridges out of it. And Im going to fill my tank with soft corals and a few hard corals and have a good variety of fish. All peaceful fish that get along. I have a lot more research to do on it but its slowly getting there. I didnt think it would be this difficult though thats for sure. LOTS of money, time and patience. I figured it would be an easy thing, but wow was I wrong!

Back