Sand sifter falling apart

Junior3813

Non-member
Bought a nice healthy sand sifter last Monday and I noticed tonight that his limbs are shorter and one of them is hanging by a thread. I did notice I have a few small bristle worms. Could this be the cause? The last sand sifter I had about a year ago was in my tank for a couple years and had the same thing happen except this it's only a week in my tank....please help!

Sent from my EVO using tapatalk

Unlikely its the bristle worms.They need a very mature FINE sand and if there are larger sharp pieces in the sand ...it can harm them.All stars are very sensitive to proper parameters.Have you checked your parameters?

Here's the pictures

Attachments

• IMAG0194.jpg
    IMAG0194.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 153
  • IMAG0195.jpg
    IMAG0195.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 152
  • IMAG0196.jpg
    IMAG0196.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 149
  • IMAG0198.jpg
    IMAG0198.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 153
  • IMAG0199.jpg
    IMAG0199.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 147
thats really not a good substrate for any sand sifting animal. i would just cut the bad arm off and then hope for the best.

Now that you mention it, that does sound right. Ive been in this hobby for almost 5 years and I am still learning the basics, go figure.

Yeah sifter looks quite injured... I wouldn't expect sand to cut it that badly however. Maybe a freak accident. Got stuck somewhere or something. Those sifters can have arms erode if they run into nutrition problems. I have one and I have to supplement its diet with sinking pellets. The sand/tank alone isn't enough. My tank is small though (29g). He'll be in far better shape once I move him to the 125gal.

Back