Saying Hello !

mbglosta

Non-member
Just wanted to introduce myself. Currently in NH, but from Newburyport, Ma. I work nights as a Registered Sleep Technologist. To date I have been keeping a 29 gallon freshwater planted tank, and a planted 3 gallon nano tank with one aquatic frog. I have been dying to start a mixed reef tank, going back to low tech, fish oriented on my freshwater. Complete beginner ! As the cliche goes, currently sucking up all the YouTube and forum info I can, podcasts, etc. Went crazy at the most recent Petco $1 a gallon sale, getting a 55g, 40g breeder, 20g high, and a 10g. The 40 or 55 will be my first attempt. Looks like the first meeting I can make is at my fathers Elks in Newburyport, very cool ! Played a lot of hockey across the street, used to manage the Amesbury Skate and Sport Shop for Rob, if you're from around there. That's all for now, thanks !

Welcome Aboard! Check out the forum header often for local meetings, speakers and DIY project.

Hopefully we will see you at a meeting soon. If so, search me out and say hello.

welcome.
I think you will be much happy with the 40g than the 55g as a reef tank unless you going to setup the 55g as a fish only tank.

Definately go with the 40B, much better dimensions for a reef tank.

Careful of youtube. Probably more bad info / advice than good when it comes to reefkeeping. There are at least a few people with their own saltwater/reefkeeping youtube channels that make pretty videos that are absolutely full of terrible advice.

Forums are IMO a much better source for info, but even then try to pay attention to who's saying what. For example if you go on reefcentral, you'll fairly quickly pick up on it that there are many seasoned reefkeepers that share a lot, and an equal number of newer and or less informed people that often give conflicting and bad advice. It doesn't take long before you develop a filter for who to listen to, and who to take with much caution.

Also do expect to get plenty of contridictory advice even from people who know a lot. This is a hobby where lots of things are in constant debate and there are no %100 yes or no answers. Fish parasites is a great example, ask 20 people who have been in this hobby for a few yrs or more and you will get several different conflicting takes on the topic.

Welcome and good luck :)

Thank you all. Just back from Sea World today, down here for a sleep conference. Bought a season pass at New England Aquarium a few weeks ago, need to get back there.

Back