Sea Horse Tank Questions

sdesi2005

Non-member
I am setting up a sea horse tank and have a few questions:

My main concern is about using live rock, some say its ok, others say you have to be very careful? What kinds of Rock is best? I was thinking tonga?

Second, is plants. I was thinking of using a 20" PC fixture, I would like some Gorgonians or sea fans, possibly some live plants/macro? Any suggestions/pictures of live macro so I can get an idea for the different types. Do these types of gorgonians/plants need real high light? Are they hard to keep? Does anyone just use artificial plants?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi -
Congrats on setting up a seahorse tank - they are the greatest. I am so glad that you are asking questions.
Live rock: I have live rock in my tank. I think it makes a difference depending on the type of horse you are going to keep. The fear with liverock is "hydroids" - which can live naturaly in liverock. They are tiny little stinging organisms which can be hurtful to some of the dwarf horses. I have had both Reidi and Barbouri horses with no problem at all with hydroids.
As far as plants go ... don't make the mistake that I made with Grape caulerpa ... once that gets a hold of your rock you will never get it out. Your best bet would be some of the "Caulerpa prolifera" - my horses like it and it is easy to control. i just pulled a handful out last week . .. I will save some for you if you like - we can meet up sometime.
I have used some artificial stuff in the horse tank .. as a matter of fact their favorite hitching post is a bird pirch. There is a plastic "branch" that I have stuck in the sand - they love it. The only problem with artificial is that they will eventually get coated with algae. So, as long as you don't mind taking them out to clean them once in a while the they work just fine. I have also used plastic chain weighted down by a rock, and other inventive stuff. As long has it isn't sharp, or poisonous, then try it!!

I have had the best success with the barbouri horses. They seem hardier and more tolerant. I know that Reidi are more available right now, but I have found them to be more delicate. When I buy a few more, they will be barbouri.
I know a few people who have tried the dwarf horses, but they are so delicate and tiny - they require live baby brine shrimp . .. very difficult and time consuming. Please be aware that most horses need a cooler temperature than most reef fish ..and the salinity should be a little less.
Let me know if you have any more questions. ..I am always willing to talk "fish" !
Paula

Back