All Set Seahorse medication

Duds

Formerly Known as SrDudley25
BRS Member
Hey all,

Long shot but any chance anyone has any antibiotics on hand. My understanding I’m looking for kanamycin, neomycin sulfate, or triple sulfa. My male hippocampus erectus has popeye and it’s at the point where his vision is affected which makes feeding difficult and so is his buoyancy at the surface a lot. So I need to lance the bubbles and release the air/fluid. He’s already in a medicated hospital tank with diamox to help treat it but with the lancing I need an antibiotic to help prevent infection.

Any pointers on where to find them is greatly appreciated if you don’t have them. I felt the description was necessary with the request sorry for the long story. And if not allowed by all means please remove.

Thanks
Stephen

Only thing I could find was erythromycin by api at petsmart so I went with that. I lanced his eyes and pressed some air out definitely much better. There are still bubbles left behind and he’s not the biggest fan of me pressing around his eyes to get the air to release. Overall he’s a very good patient and the procedure went very smoothly. I did one round and pending how he looks tomorrow I might try to release some more. Wish him luck!

Seachem Kanaplex is Kanomycin. I think Tropic Isle usually carries it. And Seachem Neoplex is Neomycin.

Seachem Kanaplex is Kanomycin. I think Tropic Isle usually carries it. And Seachem Neoplex is Neomycin.
I think at this stage I’m going to ride it out with what I got but I definitely appreciate that. I did so much reading into different products and they have silly names and most make it hard to find out the ingredients actually in it quite frustrating. I will be placing an order for a sort medicine cabinet for the seahorses to have on hand in the future.

I think at this stage I’m going to ride it out with what I got but I definitely appreciate that. I did so much reading into different products and they have silly names and most make it hard to find out the ingredients actually in it quite frustrating. I will be placing an order for a sort medicine cabinet for the seahorses to have on hand in the future.
This vendor sells Pharma grade medications (no fillers): https://everythingaquatic.net/product-category/meds/

He has a lot more available once you create an account and request permissions be set to view his entire inventory.

@Humblefish would you happen to know anywhere I can get diamox? I’d like to continue that course a little while longer. I could only find 5 pills initially which is only good for 5 days. I tried that website but doesn’t seem to be much listed on there even when I created an account.

@Humblefish would you happen to know anywhere I can get diamox? I’d like to continue that course a little while longer. I could only find 5 pills initially which is only good for 5 days. I tried that website but doesn’t seem to be much listed on there even when I created an account.
I would contact the owner: https://everythingaquatic.net/contact-us/

Tell him which medication(s) you are looking for. Sometimes he has stuff "behind the counter" that's not publicly visible.

Just thought I would throw pics in here of what my poor seahorse has been going through and his progress. I could not find any more diamox by the time I was done with the initial 5 day treatment. So I finished the last dose of erythromycin the day after and then the next morning returned him to the herd. He looks so much better the combination of lancing the bubbles diamox and erythromycin fingers crossed he keeps improving. They are social animals and my hope is that he will continue to improve and eat better in that environment.

IMG_7222.jpeg

IMG_7224.jpeg

IMG_7225.jpeg

IMG_7226.jpeg

First day after lancing and with erythromycin:
IMG_7238.jpeg

IMG_7239.jpeg

Second day after lancing look who’s perked up:
IMG_7249.jpeg

IMG_7250.jpeg

Third day after lancing still looking good last dose of diamox:
IMG_7276.jpeg

IMG_7277.jpeg

And last day in the hospital tank looking great:
73038961588__BAEC3C7F-C9CC-4AE4-8FEF-4A08F73E8F00.jpeg

73038972316__0C1BDD46-5658-4F41-81F0-A53A6016E279.jpeg

He’s been back with the herd since Saturday morning and have only seen improvement with each day. I will continue to monitor closely and get my hands on a nicely stocked medicine cabinet for future events.

Back