Seahorse medication needed - diamox AKA Acetazolamide

xtreem

Non-member
I am in need of diamox AKA Acetazolamide. I have a tigertail SeaHorse with a minor case of Gas Bubble Disease on his tail. Do you have any extra that you would sell or know of a place where I coulod get some ? (CVS?). Thanks in advance. Will also post this in public Forum.
Thanks in advance.

I don't have any, sorry for your sick seahorse. Have you tried calling a LFS. I know the one in framingham has some good medications. I copied the below from seahorsesourc.org
External Gas Bubble Disease
Causes/Problems
This condition is thought to be caused by either bacterial infection (in which case waste gases produced by the infecting bacteria become trapped under the skin) or by gas super-saturation of the water in which the seahorses reside. Gas super-saturation causes problems similar to the bends, which affects SCUBA divers. The situation, in which gas levels in the water are much higher than normally possible (caused by limited areas for gas escape), causes gas bubbles to form where possible. Because the pressure inside of a seahorse is lower than the pressure of gas super-saturated water, the gas bubbles emerge directly under the skin of the affected seahorse.

Symptoms
subcutaneous (under the skin) air bubbles that may occur anywhere on the head, body, or prehensile tail
buoyancy and movement complications
The bubbles can cause stress on a seahorse as problems with buoyancy and movement arise. If left unchecked, the disease may eventually cause death in the infected specimen due to this stress. The appearance of external gas bubble disease can be a sign of more serious problems.

Treatment
Diamox baths are considered to be the best treatment.

As a temporary treatment, air bubbles may be lanced with a sterile needle to provide some relief for an infected seahorse. To perform this lancing, first sterilize the needle with either isopropyl alcohol or by waving it through a flame. If the flame method of sterilization is used, be sure to cool the needle completely to avoid burning your seahorse. Then insert the needle into the air bubble parallel to the seahorses body. The bubbles may then be gently compressed to evacuate any air inside. As a precaution, it may be wise to place the treated horse's) in quarantine with an antibacterial agent for one or two days to allow time for the puncture to heal.

The above italicized treatment is currently under review, as it is not currently thought to be a good idea to puncture the seahorses skin.
Unless the cause of EGBD is not rectified, it will often return within days or weeks. Changes to the tank setup may have to be made if the condition does indeed return. First, try a series of large water changes. Often bad water conditions can trigger external gas bubble disease. Secondly, a power head can be aimed at the surface of the water, providing surface agitation and gas exchange. If the condition continues to recur, the tank setup itself may need to be revaluated for parameters including height, etc., that can affect external gas bubble disease.
se.org as a temporary solution.

Back