Should I be running a protein skimmer on a startup tank?

vinny

BRS Member
Should i be running a protein skimmer while setting up a new tank? I'm adding Bio S Nitrifying Baceria for new startup tanks.

No reason to its not needed. However keep in mind your skimmer will need time to break in and tune.

no skimmer no carbon
are u addiing fish also with the bio s ive used it before it works best when added with fish if not most of bacteria dies fast in the tank with nothing to eat

I was told to just run the Bio S Nitrifying Baceria for 2 weeks and nothing else as for the skimmer it's a home made job for a 30 gallon breeder.

I just put in about 15lbs of Florida (dead) live rock and ordered 25lbs of BRS Reef Saver Dry Aquarium Live Rock. I'm going to try to post some pic.s of my tank with Tapatalk if I remember how to use it.

I'm not sure how to post pics through tapatalk

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

No need on a new tank. If you are worried about breaking it in just run it without feeding it air

Hi Greg what do you mean by not feeding it air? OHH and should I be testing the water now or should I wait for the whole cycle to run it's 2 week course.

No need for a skimmer to cycle the system. But if you want to break in your skimmer you can just run water through with no air.

As far as testing, it is good to test to make sure your tank truly cycled.

No need to run a skimmer on something without a bioload, however it won't hurt either if you wanted to.

But please, don't cycle a new tank with fish like some recommend. This isn't 1985, we have dozens of better and less cruel methods of cycling a tank, like adding beneficial bacteria (though some say it's just snake oil).
Either way, the best/easiest way to cycle a tank is to add ammonia and then test a few times a week until all ammonia and nitrites read zero and there's a nitrate reading, then do a waterchange to drop nitrates to a safe level and you're good to go.

So to answer your question specifically, no you don't have to run a protein skimmer yet, but yes, you can.

It's made by Aquaforest I picked up there salt and the Bio S at Love The Reef. The directions say one drop a day for 14 days. I'm not in any rush, it's taking me about a year to get this tank all to together and running and if I have to wait a few more weeks before adding fish then that's what it takes.

While I have never used that specific product, I have used Dr Tims One & Only with great results. I'd give it a few more weeks, testing along the way, and you should be all set to go.
You said it's a DIY skimmer?

The skimmer is not a big deal really it's just something I threw together using water bottles,and air pump and a wooden lime stone which I found out are very hard to find . I made one years ago for my 10 gallon reef with very good success. This one is just as good and it's just something that I can put in my Emperor 400 filter. I can post a picture later

Back