Should I be running a protein skimmer on a startup tank?

I have never heard of this ammonia deal until recently. Are you guys saying you add like store bought ammonia and pour some in your tank? That sounds terrible to me lol can somebody elaborate on that?

Adding ammonia instead of fish is much better and faster. Bacteria colonize by feeding on ammonia. Back in the day, people used to cycle their tanks with hardy fish -- idea being that as you feed the fish, the left over food and fish waste will decompose and turn into ammonia, which is food for the bacteria. It works, but it can be slow depending on how much ammonia is in the tank as well as dangerous to fish. Not to mention all the extra phosphates being introduced in the tank.

I have been cycling all my tanks with ammonia and bacteria and it works great. By adding ammonia directly, you can control the ammonia concentration in the water creating the perfect environment for the bacteria to grow rapidly.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Is there anywhere that breaks down how much to add or are we shooting for a target level of ammonia? I've always just run my tanks for a couple months and test until I am in the clear.

When using FritzZyme or Dr Tims, I aim to bring my ammonia level at 2 - 3. There are directions that tell you how much to add.

Then add the bacteria, check ammonia every 2-3 days -- once it reaches 0, I like to repeat 2-3 more times although I suppose just once more would suffice per directions.

With my new tank, I think I did it 5 or 7 times while waiting for other stuff to get done (plumbing, stand, lights, etc). Really doesn't hurt -- more the better imo but I could be proven wrong :)

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I have never heard of this ammonia deal until recently. Are you guys saying you add like store bought ammonia and pour some in your tank? That sounds terrible to me lol can somebody elaborate on that?

http://store.drtimsaquatics.com/Ammonium-Chloride-Solution-for-Fishless-Cycling_p_190.html

I use this. A hundred times better than store brand and FAR more pure. I've cycled tanks in 2 weeks using this and Dr Tims One & Only before. I still always wait at bare minimum one full month though, but I see pods at about 1.5 weeks time even from dry sand/rock tank startup.

I had to scrub the Bio S it just wasn't working after after 3 weeks. I used instant ocean Bio Spira after one day my ammonia level went from 1.2 to 0. My nitrites are 0 and my nitrates are 20. So I'm still playing the waiting game but that ok because I'm not in any rush it's just in think it would have been a lot quicker if I started with instant oceans. I wasn't into put new fish in a new uncycled tank.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

bio spira is design to add with new fish instant cycle i found if u dont ad fish bacteria some time is gone in a few days fish poop fuels the bacteria in the bottle had a buddy ad amonia instead of fish worked also ive used the bio sphira on last 4 tanks no ill affect 3 of 4 tanks i didnt have new tank syndrome great stuff

+1 to everyone suggestion adding ammonia or decaying organic matter to cycle a tank instead of making fish suffer through the cycle. There's no need.

If you're adding dead rock with organic matter on it, you'll also have some degree of cycling as it breaks down and new life starts to colonize the rock. There may be some benefit to running your skimmer if there's a lot of detritus on your dead rocks, but it's certainly not required until you have more bioload to export nutrients from.

Back