Show me your inline carbon filters

Mr. Slippery

Reads more, Posts less
I remember there was a couple people who made their own carbon filters, using a refillable cartridge t'd off their return using a Y and Jaco fittings. I had a bad experience using filter bags filled with carbon( I had one get caught in a pump and shredded it, sending tiny pieces of carbon all over my tank) Plus I think it may be more efficient than just a bag sitting in my sump. If you have built one, do you have pics, and/or a list of parts and suggestions to make it work the best? I think it's an ingenious idea and I'm a neat freak so I think it's something I want to try.

I'd be interested too. Right now I just made a tall narrow box with egg crate at the bottom. I put my bag in that and then run my output of my skimmer into it. I would much rather have all the water go through the carbon right before going back into the display.

There's PhosX in it now but my Phosban Reactor is typically where I'd put carbon.

PICT0233.jpg

^^Hehe not knocking it at all-it's a great idea, I just don't have the space to have it like you do. I need it to be more compact is what I'm saying.:D ;)

I'm actually thinking about using a Phosban reactor for both phosphate removing resin, and for carbon. Since the phosphate removing stuff sometimes clumps I'm thinking about kind of mixing the carbon and phosphate removing stuff then putting it in the reactor. I will probably Not run it as a fluidized bed, but will flow through slower.

For the cost of the Phosban reactors ($35), it's hardly worth the effort to make your own, even for a cheap $@%#ard and DIY guy like me.

Well put Greg.

It's a no brainer for the $35. Now if only CA reactors were as cheap. ;)

I used an old calcium reactor for mine. It was a two stage so I put the carbon in the first chamber and the phosphate media in the second. Greg is right, I think a phosban reactor is your best bet.

I have two chambers from MRC one I converted into a Ozone reactor( the one on the left) and the other is currently running carbon but can be changed out to house any media I wish.

Attachments

• 100_1179 (Small).JPG
    100_1179 (Small).JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 146
Back