Signs of life... ID please

MrX

Non-member
NOTE: I posted this in my build thread, but figured a new post might get me a better response from those not following along. Thanks!

More signs of life! At first I thought it was just salt or whatever floating around, but with the LEDs on if I look closely I can see little white "dots" moving around on the glass and overflow walls.

Used a golf viewfinder backwards I can see them a little better. These things are tiny white circles with like 7-8 little appendages sticking out from the main body. each appendage has little "fingers" at the end.

Pods? Snail babies? Something else?

Thanks for the quick responses! I figured that's what they were. I don't recall reading anywhere, but do pods like this indicate anything relative to the position I am in as far as my cycle? Meaning, do they show up at any point during the cycle, or typically only in the latter stage(s)?

My last test showed what I believe to be: pH = 8.0-8.2, ammonia = 0, nitrite = 0-0.25 (going down!), and nitrate 0-5.0 (seems to be going up).

Getting so close I can taste it! (Or maybe I just put my hand in my mouth after messing with the tank! hehe)

***Couple pics (same as I put in my build thread)

Here's some pictures of the new life I see in my tank. Some of the ones floating around remind me of "sea monkeys" (aka brine shrimp). Think there is any possibility of the frozen brine "coming back to life"? (either when defrosted or perhaps eggs in the frozen blocks?). These pics were taken through a binocular lens held backwards against the tank glass:

04032012life1.jpg

04032012life2.jpg

First pic cropped. Red arrow points to funky looking creature:
04032012life3.jpg

Most likely a type of hydroid that shows up in the early stages of a tanks maturation.

No problems and will soon turn into food for your first fish.

Most likely a type of hydroid that shows up in the early stages of a tanks maturation.

No problems and will soon turn into food for your first fish.

We have a winner. I was just about to post that my friend pointed me to "hydroid Jelly". When I use Google Images I see pics that look exactly like what I see.

Thanks!

Back