Skimmer - ASM, Euro-Reef, or Aqua C

SherryQ

loves pufferfish
Hi,
My skimmer is on it's last legs if not already deceased and I need to replace it ASAP. This is for my 72 gallon reef. Anthony Calfo on his forum on Reef Central says he likes the ASM, Euro-Reef and Aqua C. What have been your experiences with these skimmers? What would you recommend? I want to purchase one tomorrow. Thanks.

p.s. I feel terrible that the only posts that I've done in the past few months have been asking for help and I haven't been to any meetings. I have been terribly swamped at work and I haven't had time. So please forgive my lack of helping others out in the reefing world lately.

Sherry

I have a Euro-Reef rs5-3 on my 58 and it works the balls as well :D . I really couldn't be happier with it - unless of course it could deodorize the skimmate before I empty it. It will knock you over :eek: ! If you have a sump, go with a ER, you won't be disappointed. If you're sumpless, AquaC is top notch.
Good luck.
Chris

Last edited:
I have a 20L gallon sump underneath the tank in the stand - so I do have a sump.

Anyone have experience with the ASM - are they a more affordable knock-off of the Euro-reefs?

Sherry,

ASM was, from what I hear, partnered up with euro reef back in the day. The construction is flimsier, but the product operates on the same principal. If you want better fit and finish, go with a Euro-Reef. If price is a factor, perhaps ASM is your best bet.

If price is not an option, I would look into a deltec.

Personally I run a Euro-Reef CS 8-3. It cranks. If I had the dough to blow, I'd probably be into a recirculating needle-wheel like on the deltecs.

good luck!

Joe

I have read euroreef is the way to go. But it is very dificult to get straight info on them. The euro reef site has one set of model numbers and give ranges for supported gallons. Then go to a place to buy euroreef skimmers and the model numbers are all different and have different gallon ratings. How am I supposed to get the right sized skimmer for my as of yet unpurchased tank?

Thanks Joe,
Price is an issue so Deltec is out of the question. I will have to go and price out the Euro-reefs.

How much skimmate a day are people getting with their Euro-reefs?

I have a coralife superskimmer and it kicks butt compared to urchin pro that I was useing.Price is right $125 for rated 125gal.construction is adequate.Can be used in sump,or hob.

skimmers are just basically a pump, and a body. WHats wrong with the old one? the pump die, or you break the body? Or do you just feel a bigger/better one would help.

fixing the old one may be a cheaper solution.

It is NOT producing alot of tiny bubbles and thus is not skimming. In the past year I've replaced the pump for the same reason. It worked for awhile. Then it slowed down and stopped working. I've cleaned it - the pump and skimmer - running a vinegar water solution through it and scrubbing it. It worked for about a week. It stopped again, so I cleaned the pump again last night hoping it would do the trick - no such luck. Basically I'm fed up with it and I need a skimmer that will work consistently. The skimmer I currently have is an Aqua Medic Turbofloater 1000 .

Hi Sherry -
One of the considerations you will have is height. I think the Euroreef that would work best won't quite fit inside the stand. You don't need a lot of clearance because the skimmate container can "slide" out without needing to lift very much. I run an ASM and although the materials are not quite as nice made as the Euroreef, it works the same way.
Marine depot used to have a very nice chart comparing the different protein skimmers .. .not sure if they carry (or list on the chart) the ASM

Good luck.

The turboflotor is a recirc needlewheel job, right? Check the air intake, and replace any airline tubing.

Is it an issue of too big bubbles, or not enough bubbles?

Sherry,
There is a site that I can't think of right now that sells blemished Euro-reef skimmers. That's where I got my Euro-reef. If I remember correctly, you have to heavily monitor that site because they go quick.

Does anyone remember the name of that site?

I have an ASM G1x. I'm running it on a 55. I bought it from ASMSkimmer.com . Best prices I could find and they helped me out alot, as I had alot of questions. Its a great skimmer, it took two weeks to break it in, but after that I have consistantly had lots of dark really stinky skimmate. Its very easty to adjust and clean. That site also can modify the skimmers for you, such as gate valve mods and recirculating mods. The prices for those are reasonable too. I haven't had my hands on a euro reef skimmer so I can't comment on if these are flimsier or not, but the construction was perfect, and they seem pretty tough. For the price difference I would definatly go with an ASM. Good luck! :)

We have three Euro-Reefs, but I would look at the needle wheel skimmers that Jerome at CRA is selling if I was buying another one. They are not as heavy a grade plastic, but they do have the needle wheel. Pricing is great.

PenMan said:
We have three Euro-Reefs, but I would look at the needle wheel skimmers that Jerome at CRA is selling if I was buying another one. They are not as heavy a grade plastic, but they do have the needle wheel. Pricing is great.
And they do work really well, I do have one of the small model in my office tank.

Gustavo

I run a larger ASM and i must say it is the business. It always produces dark skimmate every single day. Comparing the euro reef to the asm IMOP is negligable. The only differance being what the units are made from. one is closed cell and the other extruded clear pvc. The maker of asm was the partner of euroreef they fell out and both went there seperate ways. The ASM is a great priced skimmer, you are not just paying for a name which i'm afraid most do:eek: The only drawback is the noise of the venturi unsilenced it can get a little tiresome but that was easily sorted with a small air silencer. My asm has been running on my well stocked 90 gallon with all my dirty fish, i also have an aquac 120 and i think that it is far better than that:rolleyes:

asm and euroreef are basically the same thing the only difference is the thickness of the material. ASM you drop it its cracked or busted. Euro-reef probably not. They are both nice skimmers and I would recommend either of them. If you aren't gentle on equiptment, get the euroreef.

The pump/impeller are identical.

Back