Skimmer - ASM, Euro-Reef, or Aqua C

Thanks everyone.

Rich - both - not enought bubbles (sometimes none) and too big bubbles. I've replaced the airline tubing.

Thanks.
Sherry

IMO I like the ASM, it's just thinner acrylic so as stated above, dont drop it. I am running a G-6 on my system and have dropped the collection cup 2x and it did not break.

Sherry
I have a Euroreef CS6-2 and an ASM G-3. Both skimmers work equally well.
As others have said the materials in the ASM are not as heavy duty. If you bump the ASM skimmer the pump will come loose and it can be a minor PITA.
But I will say for the money difference I would go with the ASM.
Bill

Please help me with the models - I'm terribly confused and stressed (too much going on - and I'm going away in a few days and I really want the skimmer set up before I go).

If I go with the Euro-Reef what model? I have about 2feet of space for height. I haven't found the rs5-3 model that has been mentioned in this thread.

If I go with the AMS it looks like I would go with the G-2 which is rated for up to 100gallons and is 21.25" tall. Footprint is 10x11" which means it should fit in a 20l (30X12). It looks like it sells for about $220.

Thanks!!!

If space allows for it I would rather err on the side of overkill in terms of ratings for gallons - who knows when I might upgrade to a larger tank :)

Sherry
You might want to check the angle of the pump also. My G-3 Just bearly fits in my 30 gal sump.

I'm not sure if I know what you mean by "angle of the pump," please describe some more. thanks.

SherryQ said:
Thanks everyone.

Rich - both - not enought bubbles (sometimes none) and too big bubbles. I've replaced the airline tubing.

Thanks.
Sherry

Sherry check and clean out the nipple where the airline attaches. You may find that it is blocked with salt accumulation and restricting the airflow. This may be all that is wrong with it. This is also true for EroReef type skimmers as well.

Sherry

I just placed an order for an ASM G2 through Ray (Everything Reef). The difference in cost between the G2 and G3 is minimal, but the G2 is smaller in height, which was an issue for me. It's to be used on a 65gal with 20gal custom sump.

Chip

all the skimmer mentioned are great skimmer not challengeing that, but i personally like my AquaC EV series.
i love the fact i can use whatever pump i choose with out proof of purchase to replace parts. My skimmers crank out nice dark skimmate, my EV240 put out about 1\2 gallon of skimmate every 5-7 days. but i know alot of people dont like them so here a few pics of my EV240 so you can see how it works

Skimmer.jpg

Gallon_container.jpg

The AquaC EV series I just put in mine works nice too. Thick, snotty skimate. Mine doesn't produce that quickly though, but I'm only using a MAG5 on it.

Thank you all for your help.
I've decided to go with the Euro-Reef RS5-3 because Aqua Addicts has them in stock so I will be able to install it before my trip and you all said such good things about them.

Back