skunk cleaner shrimp molting every 5 days. good or bad sign?

They molt when they grow, so seems like a good thing to me. My two molt every couple weeks.

They molt when they grow, so seems like a good thing to me. My two molt every couple weeks.

They also molt when there is an irritant or toxin in the water too and every 5 days seems a bit excessive to me. I don't know one way or the other but would be looking for info as well on the range of expected motling frequency. Change anything in your tank lately?

Google "cleaner shrimp molting frequency"... besides the reasons mentioned (growing/toxins) they also mention Iodine and Calcium concentrations in the water, as well as age of the shrimp and how much they eat.

They also molt when there is an irritant or toxin in the water too and every 5 days seems a bit excessive to me. I don't know one way or the other but would be looking for info as well on the range of expected motling frequency. Change anything in your tank lately?

just added a new spectrapure reactor. i am running carbon and phosphate sponge (changeing out as directions state)

My shrimp molted every three weeks like clockwork for over 2 years. Died of old age. He was spoiled and direct fed daily, so ate often.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

he seems healthy but reluctant to come out while the lights are on

My two hang out behind my rockscape most of the day. They really only come out front if I'm feeding or doing something in the tank, and even then I'm sure they are looking for food from me.

Sometimes at night I'll catch them wandering around the DT.

Back